Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restricted areas in Holland & Germany

HI there, planning a trip to Sweden from France VFR in a couple of weeks and wanted to route at low level around the coast checking out the Dutch & German islands on the way…But on another thread I read:
ch.ess wrote:

Germany has less rules but they are obeyed more closely… You can plan your trip by the book… and a restricted area IS restricted ;-)

Frans wrote:

Sometimes the service is very poor (Dutch Mil)

And I note that my route is “blocked” by a few Restricted areas, Namely EHR4 in Holland & EDR10/EDR11/EDD19/EDD28 in Germany. What are my chances of crossing these areas and who should I talk to for the best service. I had thought Amsterdam Info, Dutch Mil & Langen Info? But perhaps these are not the best options after all?

Any suggestions appreciated, if only to make it easier for a “plan B”

Regards, SD..

Are you routing via Texel? They can phone regarding EHR4. There’s also a frequency – ‘Cornfield’ and again Texel would know what it is. In the limit you may have to route along the ‘causeway’ between EHR4B and EHR49 at 1000’ if EHR4 is hot. I’ve had to do that a couple of times out of 20 or so. Quite scenic.

Can’t speak to the German ones but Bremen information are very helpful. You can avoid them by routing to Michaelsdorf (MIC). I’ve not yet been blocked from following the coast and across Denmark or Germany to Sweden. The bird sanctuaries are a bit of a nuisance in low cloud though.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

I don‘t currently find ED-R19 and 28, but re 10 and 11: well, they are active on weekdays (inactive on weekends) unless NOTAMed otherwise. You can ask Langen Info 125.1 for confirmation of the status in flighty. But they will not „clear“ you through if active.

Note the callsign Bremen Info does not exist anymore. It‘s all Langen now.

Anyway, these areas (10 and 11) aren‘t that huge. If you pre-plan to remainnoutside, it is no big deal and just a couple more minutes of flight.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Jul 16:45
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

skydriller wrote:

Any suggestions appreciated, if only to make it easier for a “plan B”

Should not be an issue, worst case circling the whole of Holland instead of a direct is only extra 15min

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am planning to fly mid-week, so you guys are pretty much saying go around EDR10 & 11? I had routed direct from the Islands (Kiel), but I suppose a detour south would also have me clear of th Langfeld TRA I see had appeared!!
EDD19 & 28 are showing as danger areas connected to the North East of the restricted areas EDR10 & 11.
I will just have to see what happens wrt EHR4 as I planned to stop at Borkum or Emden – I cant find “Cornfield” on SkyDemon, but Im guessing “the causeway” is the A7?

Thanks Chaps, SD..

I guess you mean Langeland TRA. That one you fly through if in radio contact with the ATS, so don‘t worry about it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

And I like to inform you about a temporary TMZ around Wittmund military airport in the northern part of Germany. SD shows you only a circle which is wrong!

EDWF, Germany

This is normal; the circle is the only reliably machine readable part of the notam deometrical description. The lists of lat/long coordinates which describe the inner polygon are often strangely formatted and cannot be software-plotted correctly in many cases. This is a huge problem with notams but there seems to be little will to address it; the notam generator would need to do it correctly / in some standard format, perhaps with delimiters, and most probably don’t want to be bothered. For high profile UK notams (e.g. restricted areas), SD most likely checks/processes these manually because they don’t want trouble back home

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will just have to see what happens wrt EHR4 as I planned to stop at Borkum or Emden – I cant find “Cornfield” on SkyDemon, but Im guessing “the causeway” is the A7?

Btw. the best place for a “stop” in the area is Leer-Papenburg EDWF, just south of Emden EDWE. It has famously good service and cheap fuel (Avgas, Mogas and Jet A1). The landing fee is waived if you refuel and the restaurant is decent.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

See you’ve moved from Hannover to Hildesheim, @MedEwok. I must admit I do enjoy flying there because the restaurant, although not fancy, does provide good food at reasonable prices…..

EDL*, Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message