Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RF Legs in Europe

I see that the Garmin GTNs will (among other goodies) soon support RF legs: http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/aviation/garmin-brings-high-end-flight-deck-technology-and-animated-nexrad-gtn-650750-

Is this remotely relevant to us in Europe?

EGEO

jwoolard wrote:

The airbase that is very close to my homebase has an RF leg approach. I guess I could use it for cloud break if my navigator supported it. Sometimes, their ILS is unusable because the army parks trucks in front of the glideslope antennas…

LSZK, Switzerland

jwoolard wrote:

In theory yes, as there are approaches using RF legs in Europe. (Here is one.) In practise, I guess not, since all (?) of these approaches are “authorisation required”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

We have a few approaches in the US that are published with RF legs and are not authorization required. There is one RNAV at KCRQ and an ILS in Alaska that use an RF leg for the initial leg or feeder route. More RNAV STARs and maybe some RNAV SIDs use them as well.

KUZA, United States

Would this not allow DME arc approaches to be coded as overlays? Could be useful.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

Would this not allow DME arc approaches to be coded as overlays? Could be useful.

DME arcs can already be coded – but there are some limitations (I had a long discussion with Jepp about this earlier in the year, the limitations are in the ARINC coding conventions, and Jepp are not willing to break the rules on this):

• No DME-arcs based on NDBs
  • No DME-arcs based on non-colocated DMEs
  • No DME-arcs based on offset DMEs

At least in the UK, this severely limits their usefulness.

I see there are some Amsterdam SIDs which use RF legs.

EGEO

The approach at Benbecula has a DME arc that is coded by Jeppeson. I have flown it on the autopilot

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I am sorry but… what do you call an RF leg exactly ?

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

RF = Radius to Fix. It’s the RNAV/GPS equivalent of a DME arc, where you continuously turn (slowly) and maintain the same distance from a known point.

If you consider that smaller, slower GA aircraft turn much more quickly that a fast moving jet airliner (even when both doing Rate One turns), the radius of those turns would be much greater for the jet. By specifying a known fixed radial, all traffic can be routed along a known path. This is considered helpful in future airspace routings and is expected to become more common in STARs and SIDs (standard instrument arrivals and departure routes) in the future.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

The approach at Benbecula has a DME arc that is coded by Jeppeson. I have flown it on the autopilot

Yup, the BEN 10DME arc is defined using a colocated VORDME. The coding does an excellent job here; no need for RF support.

The vast majority of UK DME-arcs are defined using an NDB, and many of the DMEs are offset as well.

EGEO
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message