Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Riga EVRA

I flew from Estonia to Kuanas Darius (as mentioned above) in September bypassing a possible stop at Riga. However they did respond to an email in a friendly way and sent me a scale of charges which looked a bit complicated, so I didn’t bother to work them out! But I’m sure it would have been OK. They did confirm Avgas OK. I suggest you mail them.

S. Darius was magnificent! The taxi to the hotel downtown took 10 mins and cost less than 5 Euro! Fuel only in the week however. A huge contrast with the Kuanas International airport which is 100 Euro, security palaver and a long way from town.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Apologies it it comes across otherwise, really trying to be helpful:

I suppose this means EYKS Dariaus&Giréno aerodrome just South of Kaunas. A nice place indeed! (the airfield, that is. The city was depressing, to me, but I only tried once, may have been bad luck). And yes, Lithuania is a very decent country and yet very affordable, recommended for all to visit.

BTW the aerodrome is named after two of the country’s national heroes – they almost managed a non-stop flight across the Atlantic to their homeland, in 1933. Their names are still in high honour around the country.

Last Edited by at 12 Dec 21:13
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan, I’m sorry if my post was vague. It was written a cellphone in a hurry! The airfield is indeed S Darius & S Gireno EYKS. I found it was colloquially referred to as Kaunas Darius or just Darius on the air.

I found the city very pleasant with endless street cafés and pedestrianised streets. I stayed in the Daugirdas hotel by the river which was excellent for 60 € per night. The one snag is difficulty of finding wifi that works. The hotel one blocked my VPN. It’s not a 3 feel at home country either. So you really need a domestic cim card.

Thanks, David

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message