Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV with GNS430 G1000

Hi!

I have seen some discussions going on concerning RNav, which makes wondering if i am flying IFR legally.

Pretty new IFR pilot and must admit that i'm litte bit unsure what i can do. When i did the instrument theory course we got a RNav diploma (since they covered that, hmm where did i put that one..) but i don't remember if it was B-RNav or P-RNav.

When i did the practical course 2 years ago we flew a PA28 with GNS430, doing SIDs and STARs. I also did some difference training after G1000 including IFR procedures.

Reading briefly through the R-Nav manual in the technical articles section (http://www.euroga.org/system/1/assets/files/000/000/170/170/3f7d12755/original/rnavmanual1_8.pdf) and some of the active forum topics, i am still not sure if i need a P-RNav diff training and an approval for the specific airplane to fly STARS and SIDs...?

Could somebody enlighten me on this topic briefly?

To fly Arrivals (i guess not Approaches?) with our clubs GNS430 and G1000 equipped machines. What paper is needed for them. And what paper is needed for me?

Thanks in advance

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Check your AFMS, it should contain B-RNAV approval for enroute and approach. P-RNAV is rare and your aircraft are 99% not authorized and neither are you

Thanks, AFMS stands for? :$

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Approved Flight Manual Supplement, a little booklet on the GNS430 which was created as part of the installation (the STC). This contains what you can do with the device.

The answer will be you can do enroute and approach B-RNAV.

Thanks alot :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas - you can read some background here.

The AFMS for the GPS (example of mine here) lists what you are authorised to do with the thing.

I would hope that any plane with a G1000 installed would come with an AFMS authorising just about everything except probably PRNAV.

However the one with the GNS430 might not come with anything. The majority of GNS boxes installed in Europe were just screwed into the panel without the installer taking care of the AFMS. In fact many were installed without any paperwork at all... To meet BRNAV you need specific annunciators within a specified field of view of the pilot. PRNAV is possible too but it is a fairly complicated route under both EASA and FAA.

PRNAV was discussed here a few times, e.g. here. Opinion is divided as to whether it is likely to be operationally relevant to GA soon. The suggestion that enroute airspace may become PRNAV is being denied, but if large TMAs become thus, the effect will be the same. Many airports are in theory inaccessible already to non-PRNAV aircraft (basically all their SIDs and STARs are PRNAV) but they all simply ignore it - as they must because most planes are not approved. PRNAV is also the only thing which needs "crew" certification, but I don't know where this stands in Europe. For US customers, the King outfit does a brief training course at the end of which you get a certificate.

In practice there appears to be zero enforcement of any of this stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here in the US there are no crew training documentation requirements for what you call PRNAV for most general aviation operators. AFMS for installations prior to AC 90-100A being issued don't cover PRNAV. For these GPS units there is a supplemental spreadsheet maintained by the FAA and downloadable at that grants the appropriate approvals. All of the AFMS issued since then have explicit wording in them specifying any limitations. My most recent AFMS for the GNS530W at software version 5.03 and states that it complies with PRNAV, although this does not constitute an operational approval. I would expect that the individual countries would determine what is required for operation in their airspace. From my GNS530W AFMS:

The Garmin GNSS navigation system complies with the accuracy, integrity, and continuity of function, and contains the minimum system functions required for P-RNAV operations in accordance with JAA Administrative & Guidance Material Section One: General Part 3: Temporary Guidance Leaflets, Leaflet No 10 (JAA TGL-10 Rev 1). The GNSS navigation system has one or more TSOC146a Class 3 approved Garmin GNS Navigation Systems. The Garmin GNSS navigation system complies with the accuracy, integrity, and continuity of function, and contains the minimum system functions required for B-RNAV operations in accordance with EASA AMC 20-4. The Garmin GNSS navigation system complies with the equipment requirements for P-RNAV and BRNAV/ RNAV-5 operations in accordance with AC 90-96A CHG 1. This does not constitute an operational approval.

The FAA has also issued three other relevant AC's, AC 90-105 that covers use of GPS for PRNAV and RNAV (GPS) approaches with LNAV or LNAV/VNAV minimums; for AC 90-107 for use of LP and LPV approaches; and AC 90-108 for use of GPS on conventional routes and approaches. Of course, these only apply to the US NAS.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee - can you clarify what (if anything) the USA is doing on PRNAV in its own airspace?

In Europe, "PRNAV" basically means an aircraft (GPS) approval, crew approval, and it maps onto procedures which are published as "PRNAV only".

Does the USA have any "PRNAV only" airport procedures, for example?

It seems to me that the FAA has granted PRNAV approval to most IFR GPS installations, for US airspace only, but then I wonder whether the USA actually operates anything like the European PRNAV system which (as I have often said before) seems purely artificial and is basically RNP-1 with a nice job creation scheme tied to it.

The King PRNAV course must be for people (bizjet operators mostly, I guess) who want to fly into Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I understand the situation, we implement the stuff, you give it names, we change and adapt our stuff to your names. RNAV 1 SID, STAR, and ODP are in use here. RNAV 2 T routes and Q routes are used for enroute and eventually most airways based on VOR will disappear, at this point we are in transition with both. LNAV and LNAV/VNAV are now considered .3 RNP and LPV/LP are to be renamed. At some point all approach procedures will be PBN with LNAV RNP .3 assumed. Any requirement beyond that will be noted on the chart, example LPV or RF required.

KUZA, United States
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message