Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RSS feeds / latest posts

Are there any RSS feeds available (say for each forum) of the latest posts? I can’t see any but thought I might be missing something.
If not, how do people keep updated as to what’s new? Do you literally just come back to the site every now and then and manually view the recent posts/recent threads page? Seems a bit basic, so hoping I’m missing something :)

Nic

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

I just have a Favourite / Link to this

http://www.euroga.org/forums/recent-threads

Do you literally just come back to the site every now and then and manually view the recent posts/recent threads page? Seems a bit basic, so hoping I’m missing something :)

It might be basic, but it’s not a very common requirement these days. We run another forum which gets over 20,000 posts a day and that has no RSS feed and nobody complains. So really I think it’s different strokes for different folks. Most people on this forum do exactly what you describe in terms of coming back. You can also subscribe to receive notifications on specific threads.

As for RSS feeds, you can just stick .rss on the end of some of the URLs. For example, probably the one you want is:

http://www.euroga.org/forums/recent.rss

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I resigned myself long ago to the fact theat almost all web forums are much poorer in functionality than even the most basic usenet newsreader of the 90’s. We had proper threading, alerting, tools to manage what to follow and what not, etc.; in the glory days we could even attach photos without having to host them somewhere… no video, though; and the spam protection/moderation model was problematic.

But of course the barrier – you needed at least “B” grade in geekiness to use it, and to manage a moderated group was a PITA – was too high, and so we are stuck with web forums.

Biggin Hill

Usenet, which I remember very well, had some very good client software which pretty universally implemented features like killfiles – a list of all posters whose posts you didn’t want to read. That was essential, and in some of today’s web forums one would (if one had that feature) killfile 90% of the posters

Usenet is where good quality aviation discussion started, in the 1990s… now most of Usenet is all dead. It remains good for electronics/software topics though.

However Usenet never had “RSS” type functionality. I suppose one could set up a “list” equivalent but for any busy forum the daily digest would be a very long list! Personally I think RSS is good for forums where almost nothing happens (say under 10 per day and mostly one-liners) and then you don’t want to check it periodically; you just want a daily digest emailed to you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
As for RSS feeds, you can just stick .rss on the end of some of the URLs. For example, probably the one you want is:

“www.euroga.org/forums/recent.rss

“:http://www.euroga.org/forums/recent.rss

Perfect, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message