Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rules on mounting of portable GPSs and such

Peter wrote:

I then wonder why mention ELA2 at all. It then sounds like ELA1 is excluded…

By definition every ELA1 aircraft is also an ELA2 aircraft, so a mention of ELA2 doesn’t exclude ELA1.

The mention of ELA2 is probably to include sailplanes and balloons.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

“2. Applicability/Eligibility
Aeroplanes not being complex motor-powered aircraft, rotorcraft not being complex motor-powered aircraft and any ELA2 aircraft.”

so not applicable over 1200kg.

This is not an exclusion of ELA2 aircraft. It means that the change is applicable to

• aeroplanes not being complex motor-powered aircraft, as well as
  • rotorcraft not being complex motor-powered aircraft, as well as
  • any ELA2 aircraft

ELA2 aircraft include sailplanes and balloons.

Btw, the weight limit for ELA2 aeroplanes is 2000 kg, not 1200 kg.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Jun 16:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I then wonder why mention ELA2 at all. It then sounds like ELA1 is excluded…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They aren’t excluded.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Are they excluded? I read the reg as applicable to
– aircraft (except complex….)
– rotorcraft (not being complex)
– ELA2 aircraft

Biggin Hill

within EASA-land, the installation of action cams is a standard change – within the FAA-land, it’s prohibited but not prosecuted, IIRC

Not really – externally mounted action cam thread

Also a concession which doesn’t cover ELA2 is of limited use. The FAA doesn’t have any general limitation until you get to, IIRC, 5700kg/12500lb. I wonder why ELA2 was excluded, especially as ELA2 would tend to be more “sturdy” aircraft, in general.

Getting back to say a yoke mounted GPS, wired to the aircraft, how much would the EASA DOA charge for that?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

A reference to a regulation allowing it is needed to facilitate acceptance by a maintenance company, of an aircraft with the installation already done.

EASA and FAA are working hard on mutual acceptance of guidance material and knowledge (EASA is way ahead of the FAA in terms of acceptance, though). This is reflected to completely accept the AC 43.13-1B for standard repairs, for example. I think, if the FAA or the british CAA has a guide, that’ll do for practical reasons of adding a temporary tablet.

NB: within EASA-land, the installation of action cams is a standard change – within the FAA-land, it’s prohibited but not prosecuted, IIRC. That’d be a substantial difference.

However, if you want to install this stuff permanently in a cockpit, where CS-STAN doesn’t apply, you need a Minor Change to TC. Every regular DO can do that in house (no EASA involvement required, as ref. in Part 21)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The 1st one googles to here local copy and the 2nd one doesn’t but it appears within the 1st.

That is a huge manual for all kinds of stuff. I can’t see guidance for mounting the mount for a portable device.

There is a section on “Standard Change CS-SC102a INSTALLATION OF DC POWER SUPPLY SYSTEMS (PSS) FOR PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES (PED)” which deals with the power connection (a dedicated CB would usually be used) which then says

“2. Applicability/Eligibility
Aeroplanes not being complex motor-powered aircraft, rotorcraft not being complex motor-powered aircraft and any ELA2 aircraft.”

so not applicable over 1200kg.

Certainly, no regulation is needed to do the installation correctly. A reference to a regulation allowing it is needed to facilitate acceptance by a maintenance company, of an aircraft with the installation already done.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

In this context the mount would usually be permanently fixed (with screws) and permanently wired to the aircraft power.

In this case, SC052b, SC102a would apply. Other than that, I guess you don’t really need regulation, do you?

Last Edited by mh at 06 Jun 13:05
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

In this context the mount would usually be permanently fixed (with screws) and permanently wired to the aircraft power.

If you can fix a mount with velcro or a clamp and run a cable to the cigar lighter, there is obviously no issue. But most people don’t like a dangling cable to the cigar lighter socket, especially from a yoke mounted device. It is extremely messy.

The UK LAA guidance is here but again this is for cameras.

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message