Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian Visas for Bizjet Crew

Does anyone have recent experience of flying into Moscow?

I went there a few years ago and was able to get a Crew Visa on arrival. I'm told that it is no longer possible to do this.

Can anyone confirm?

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

Depends where you go I guess. We get temporary ones at UUDD but it costs quite a bit, and keeps you waiting in the aircraft for at least an hour! This time of year you need an APU!

sorry, it went off while I was cleani...
not in UK

When I went to Sochi two and a half years ago on a private flight, I had arranged for a proper visa beforehand. I don’t exactly know if it would have been possible to arrange it on arrival, but as we had passengers (and they definitely need to have visas beforehand) we did them all at that time. FWIW, we stayed two days (less than 48 hours).

However, if you are paying the bills, beware. It seems like the fees (incl. handling…) at most airports in Russia (and certainly the Moscow airports) are well into the four digits nowadays…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Jan 20:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Consular posts at Russian airports exist at UUEE, UUDD, UUWW, ULLI and UMKK; URSS has one temporarily, for the Olympics. However, transit visas on arrival are issued as an exception rather than an entitlement. Typically, the organisation arranging the visit (that is, the airline in case of a crew) should send an official request.

By the way, the landing and parking fees at Russian airports are quite reasonable (or at least were last time I checked), it’s the handling that brings tears to your eyes.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 21 Jan 21:37
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

When I went to Sochi two and a half years ago on a private flight

Is there a writeup of your trip somewhere? That would be very interesting. I have never dared to fly to Russia due to lack of information in general and negative feedback in particular. A pity, there is so much to see and the language wouldn’t a problem either…

I think I mailed the fliegermagazin report to you some time ago…

Re Sochi: I wouldn’t bother much about going to Sochi any longer, now that the city has been ruined with stadiums, convention centers and high-speed trains. It wasn’t a very pretty city at the time, but now it is downright ruined from what I can see on TV. However, where still unspoilt, the landscapes of the northern shore of the Black Sea are beautiful. A bit like Lake Garda…

But again, flying in Russia is the most expensive worldwide, next only to some places in the Far East and the Pacific. I really can’t recommend it to anyone, unless he earns so much that the four digit handling fees become peanuts…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jan 09:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But again, flying in Russia is the most expensive worldwide, next only to some places in the Far East and the Pacific. I really can’t recommend it to anyone, unless he earns so much that the four digit handling fees become peanuts…

It’s really sad how that country went downhill in the last years. It was so promising (during Putin I), spent lots of time there when I had a company there. Now I wouldn’t want to get near it. It could easily be GA heaven because even though it is vast like Canada, it has a lot more infrastructure.

Regarding the Visa: All pilots in our operation have one year visa which cost about the same than the one-day visa you can get at the airports. The process of obtaining them takes several weeks, so they are of course not suitable for last-minute flights. And you might need a second passport while yours is away at the embassy for the visa.

EDDS - Stuttgart
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message