Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RVR minima calculations

With an IR(R) candidate today I had a discussion how the AIP plates don’t show the required RVR for the approach – we then started to discuss how it could be derived (not that anyone sane would do it) and I think I’m right in that you have to go to EASA Air Ops CAT.OP.MPA Aerodrome Operating Minima and derive it from the DH – can anyone confirm the reference for me please?

Now retired from forums best wishes

Don’t know about Part CAT but under SPO its AMC5.SPO.OP.110 to AMC9.SPO.OP.110. Ordinarily the OP.### is the same across CAT/NCO/SPO. A snippet from the tables.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 14 Aug 21:01
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Or you can use the AeroPlus IFR Minima App.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I assume an IR(R) is non-commercial, so GM4 to NCO.OP.110 would apply.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Or you could do what many people do and make “friends in low places” and get Jepp terminal charts which show this stuff correctly

IMHO the way the national AIP terminal charts are published is partly to protect the business of Jeppesen. Some deal was done after the Australian court case, and Jepp most likely pay some money for the republication of the AIP data.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does this mean I really need to buy Jeppesen IAC plates to fly IFR in the UK. As Peter hints, “what a con”.

France

You can download for free the AeroPlus IFR mínima app which allows you to calculate the missing minima data from the AIP/State plates. It is available only for iOS and as a service to the aviation community. It includes help information to get you started on calculating the minima. Once you figured out how to do it, it takes just minutes and you can share your calculation with the rest of the world as well. The app bases its calculation on EU-OPS specs, which formula did not change now we are in EASA land.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 15 Aug 07:16
EDLE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

IMHO the way the national AIP terminal charts are published is partly to protect the business of Jeppesen. Some deal was done after the Australian court case, and Jepp most likely pay some money for the republication of the AIP data.

You keep saying this, but there is no evidence that this has happened anywhere except in Australia. The Jepp manual includes an explicit note that the Australian data is published with permission, but nothing about other countries.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jepp plates can also be downloaded at very low cost from Navigraph and either stored as PDFs or printed.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Or you can use the Navigraph app to confirm that your own calculation of the minima done on the state plates is correct.

EDLE, Netherlands
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message