Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Salvaging a plane abandoned for 5 years

10 Posts

From here?

Another possible Mooney project:

Apparently, it had a “simple“ prop strike there 5 years ago. But it looks like it was a nice airplane at the time. The question is: when these things happen, why do owners not solve the problem straight away, but rather just leave it for years, with the result that so much value has been lost and it even if he sells it for 1 Euro to the guy in the video, at this point it will likely not a project which makes any economic sense…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico I started a new thread for this because it is just too good

why do owners not solve the problem straight away, but rather just leave it for years, with the result that so much value has been lost and it even if he sells it for 1 Euro to the guy in the video, at this point it will likely not a project which makes any economic sense…

I think, same reason(s) why perfectly good planes are left to rot, everywhere, but particularly in these southern European countries whose economies have had booms (usually from external money injections, triggering construction booms and spilling over into small numbers of individuals getting seriously rich) followed by busts.

A google on the reg produces interesting data – with the end here.

I wonder who else on EuroGA has done a project like this. I would do it with a TB20GT but only if it was corrosion-free. I heard there was one such on Chios (Greece) rotting away on the beach.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

The question is: when these things happen, why do owners not solve the problem straight away,

Because they don’t have the money. Getting an airplane back after a prop strike runs to at least $ 40.000 (that’s local SoCal figures) until everything has been done. If you only carry liability insurance (don’t know if that’s possible in Europe), then these $40k come out of your pocket. Which may not be deep enough.

Well, in this case, they DID have the money to do the shockload inspection and invest in new bearings and a new camshaft! The engine was them apparently conserved and is part of the deal for the aircraft (25k apparently).

There is some more detail in the mooneyspace thread: https://mooneyspace.com/topic/41820-will-it-ever-fly-again-shall-i-dare-rescuing-the-abandoned-bird/#comment-722801

So why let the airframe corrode on an island in the Tyrrhenian Sea?

Because they don’t have the money. Getting an airplane back after a prop strike runs to at least $ 40.000 (that’s local SoCal figures) until everything has been done. If you only carry liability insurance (don’t know if that’s possible in Europe), then these $40k come out of your pocket. Which may not be deep enough.

Why not sell right away as project? I mean you can get 20k$ out of it right away not 1$

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Apr 18:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It amazing to me that somebody would abandon what is almost a late model plane, apparently with very low airframe hours. Otherwise it’s obviously savable but it’ll be years of effort by the buyer to make it into a nice example. Good bones, didn’t see any significant damage but lots and lots of labor needed. I hope it works out well for the guy.

My plane sat similarly for several years, with the last two outside, before I bought it. Flown maybe once a year. However it was kept in Annual, so wasn’t as rough.

I think the most likely reason is “hope” together with an unwillingness to accept changing circumstances.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not a lot of new info. Mostly just a bloke speaking into a camera (man, I hate those videos). But the story must go on…

After being through the wringer a few times, the cheapest plane to own is the one that was probably the more expensive to buy. There are no deals in aviation to be had unless you’re an A&P with lots of time and big hangar at your disposal.

Of course, but people will always continue to believe otherwise.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message