Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scenic destinations easily accessible from the airport

Haha, looks good! Love this: "A small wooden shed is located by the landing strip, where you will find a map with information about the island and bicycles for your use."

Prices are indeed impressive, it's almost as expensive as flying.... :-)

EHTE, Netherlands

If you would like to visit Sweden, i would recommend the beautiful island Gotland on the east side of Sweden!

They have an IFR airport with both hard and soft surface. Landing fee i think is around 25Eur. There are airport shuttles.

I think you can rent beds and bikes from the nearby flying club.

Gotland has very nice beaches and historical places in addition to a growing city with a popular university. I would rent a car and explore the island.

http://www.wikiairports.com/airports/details/2710

http://www.gotland.net/Start

Some pictures here

https://www.google.se/search?q=gotland&client=firefox-a&hs=0tt&rls=org.mozilla:sv-SE:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=W2ooUq-oNIq1tAbp6IHAAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1372&bih=940

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

What about Colmar LFGA? Thinking about taking my girlfriend there next weekend...

Not looking too good, I'm afraid. On Saturday, they forecaft a front hanging down from Denmark to southern France. Sunday doesn't look better...and much cooler temps...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Poor weather indeed with thunderstorms. But for an other time, Colmar is a good idea. the city is nice, not too far from the airport. An alternate could be Strasbourg Neuhof, only 3km from downtown. Strasburg is a really beautiful city. Grass runway with buildings in short final on the 18 meaning a steeper than usual final. Going to Neuhof you should contact the local club to see if it's still safe to leave an aircraft overnight. It was when I flew there, but it was a long time ago...

As for islands, l'Ile d'yeu is a great place, maybe a little far from you. No avgas, but you can rent a bike in the main city (30mn walks from the airport) and tour the island within a day. Great tiny beaches and so on... Wonderful for a romantic week end. Belle ile is much larger. there is avgas. The airfield is in the middle of the island, to far to walk to the next city. A bike renter used to maybe still does) come and pick you up at the airport for a very small fee provided that you rented bikes. The island is just great too, but if you're not used to ride bycicle, it'll be more tiring than ile d'yeu.

SE France

I would use a Flybe paraffin budgie as I would prefer not to give a saltwater and sand bath to the aircraft, but Barra is well worth visiting and spending a couple of days. Scotland generally has a nice group of useful airports and I would suggest Islay, Tirree, Glenforsa, Kirkwall, Inverness, Perth.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

if you are looking for a destination with wife friendly program (even a day trip), try LZPT – thermal spa 5 mins walk from the the airport, you can see your parked aircraft from the outdoor pool. Two more thermal pools inside (36 and 37 deg C), accommodation available (we didn´t try). VFR only (sorry Peter), grass in fair condition, not sure about English capability on radio – but minimum traffic anyway. FIC for Bratislava FIR has significantly improved in the last years, now perfect English and accurate information.

LKKU, LKTB

Thank you for the suggestion, looks great. By the way, does anyone have other recommendations for the islands between Denmark/Sweden?

I have some very good memories from Læsø off the coast of Fredrikshavn. You used to deposit the landing fee in a box and there were bicycles there for rent. Try to book something better than Caelsen’s for your stay, otherwise she may be unhappy. There are fish smokeries, a golf, horseback riding and long sand beaches.

LFPT, LFPN

I am digging up this really good old thread (title changed from the rather more controversial “Tips for destinations your wife will enjoy” ) because it has some great past contributions, plus we have a good number of new people here these days…

Also I seem to be running out of destinations. I fly mostly to see nice places and to meet nice people, and apart from fly-ins organised a long way ahead most people are really busy in the summer.

Is St Johann LOIJ any good in the summer? We discussed it previously as a ski destination (seems ok for expert skiers) but what about in the summer? Zell am See LOWZ is really nice in the summer. I believe one can fly to LOIJ direct from the UK, with PNR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Zell am See LOWZ is really nice in the summer.

If time allows, I’d like to fly there this Saturday for fishing, hotel Lampenhäusl has permits for flyfishing right on the river there. Any flying (fly)fishermen here with tips?

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message