Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scenic destinations easily accessible from the airport

We just had a trip to Bled (LJBL) on the way to Brac this year.

You need to clear customs / immigration before if outside Schengen Area (it’s not a port of entry). Really nice airfield with hard runway, smooth grass parking (mown on day we arrived) they have AVGAS … great Slovenian welcome! Email them to let them know you are coming they don’t reply instantly but all very relaxed. They have gliders using a parallel grass runway.

Fees circa 40euro inc parking 1630kg it’s less if under 1500kg. Really scenic approach. Taxi Into to town 15euro. Lots of hotels to choose from. Stunning views.

The lake is superb for swimming this time of year. Visit the church and ring the wishing bell!

Last Edited by Alex_ at 02 Aug 09:01
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

EGEO Oban – outstanding west coast Scottish scenery, free bicycle hire from the airfield (although watch out for the signposted cycle route into Oban if you’re not a regular rider – while it is very scenic it’s also quite hilly – there’s an alternate route down the coast which is flatter), and there’s also a distillery.

I wrote a trip report a while back with some photos:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/4727-there-is-sunshine-in-scotland-sometimes-oban-egeo-sat-5-sep

Last Edited by alioth at 02 Aug 10:25
Andreas IOM

Essentially I spend a lot of time on google maps finding town centres that are within walking distance of their airfield. Tripadvisor is also a good starting place with its search for things to do. The airfield or based club may have a page on their website with local attractions. Most important is having nice weather, a (flying) plan B and a (driving) plan C.

Town centre within walking distance

• A recent discovery in bourgogne was LFQF Châtillon-sur-Seine, a grass strip with a one-DR400 club and small but nice town centre with lots of bridges (the town is on a bend in the Seine). Someone from the club gave us a lift, which was very welcome in the heat.
  • Nearby is LFGQ Semur-en-Auxois, but whilst the walled mediaeval centre with timbered buildings is close to the airfield it’s on top of granite cliffs (and also on a bend in the river); a climb but worth it.
  • LFAT Le Touquet is crawling with tourists in the summer but a nice day out, and one of the few airports doing bicycle hire.

Airfields with restaurants

• Granville LFRF has a Caribbean restaurant on the airfield and several more within walking distance. As with any airfield in basse normandie it’s convenient for a tour of the Mont Saint Michel.
  • I recently went to LFQS Vitry-en-Artois as the restaurant is in the Guide Michelin, but unfortunately arrived as they were closing so can’t say any more.
  • LFHV Villefranche Tarare’s restaurant is also reputed to be very good, but we went during their summer shutdown.

French airfield restaurant listing

Islands

Islomania is easier with a plane, and passengers usually appreciate the convenience of GA compared to taking the ferry

• LFKO Propriano in Corsica is a must, but will need a taxi or hire car.
  • EGJA Alderney is probably our favourite. Bikes can be hired to tour the island; with lots of fields and intact Victorian and German defences it’s unspoilt. I assume this is also valid for the other Channel Islands.
  • Bembridge EGHJ on the Isle of Wight has plenty to do within a short walk (cliffs, beach, windmill, fort, campsite)
  • On Florida’s gulf coast Cedar Key KCDK is pretty impressive as the runway is the same length as the island, but there’s a causeway to walk into town (taxi and hired golf cart also possible).
  • Marathon KMTH in the Florida keys is also worth a visit, but the real destination should be Key West (I’ve not yet been)

Aviation museums

• Montelimar LFLQ has an aeroplane museum, and the town is a bit too far to walk but easily cycleable.
  • other on-airfield museums are Old Warden EGTH, home to the Shuttleworth Collection;
  • and Duxford EGSU Imperial War Museum, both just north of London and both actually fly some of the exhibits.

However, passengers might not appreciate an entirely aviation based day out.

Others

• Portorož LJPZ on the Slovene-Croatian border is good both for GA friendliness and the towns of Portorož, Piran and Izola in taxi or lift range (image search ‘Piran’)
  • In the very western alps LFLB Chambéry Aix les Bains is worth a touch and go if in the area just for the approach over the ridge and lake.
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

This is very handy indeed.
Could we structure these recommendations into a list?
I created a google doc but if someone has a better idea go ahead..
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12tV5mKJT0-PkM6fHntTCJTnP5c9A4c-HYO8NKv-baV8/edit?usp=sharing

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter said:

Is St Johann LOIJ any good in the summer? We discussed it previously as a ski destination (seems ok for expert skiers) but what about in the summer? Zell am See LOWZ is really nice in the summer. I believe one can fly to LOIJ direct from the UK, with PNR.

We are planning to spend the week after next at LOIJ with the family. SIXT @downtown Sankt Johann happy to take car to airfield for a small fee. Not sure wx will collaborate.

Any tips welcome. Peter let us know if you want to get together there.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

A Swiss Tip – Saanen LSGK. My favourite Swiss airport – fantastically beautiful deep, deep in a valley and a very interesting non-standard VFR approach. A walk into the famous resort of Gstaad. See here for details www.gstaad-airport.ch/en/

Paul Beckwith

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

That is a great start @snoopy although I wonder whether enough people will contribute. It’s like previous attempts with e.g. where to find EASA regs.

@antonio I am looking at this for this coming week and will let you know; also will post something under Ad Hoc trips.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We eventually made it to Sankt Johann LOIJ last Monday after an easy flight from Augsburg. Will post the experience on a separate thread. Convective wx permitting, we will be departing to LESB in Mallorca on Monday.

Last Edited by Antonio at 17 Aug 20:36
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I can recommend ESMB, after landing walking to the Soliden Slots and Borgholm slot is done in a few minutes. Bikes are also available at the field, so to go to the town is also in minutes distance. See my rip report from this summer here.

EDDS , Germany

This is the only thread mentioning the Ile d’Yeu. One of the locals offers lifts around the island from the aeroclub (phone number at the end):

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message