Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scotland Meetup - Oban EGEO 22/23 July 2017

@Peter Probably too late but if you have time, head north and go and visit Plockton. Have lunch at the Plockton Hotel, outside, overlooking the water. Beautiful setting. If you can stay the night there, the hotel staff will come and collect you from/deliver you to your aircraft.

UK, United Kingdom

Thank you but I flew straight back.

These long VFR flights are as hard as I remember them from my pre-IR days, especially in the UK with all the complicated Class A. The best bit is the Manchester-Liverpoor low level corridor, 1300ft while getting shaken around like in a tumbledryer by the turbulence on a hot day. I was lucky with the cloud tops just below the base of CAS otherwise much of such a flight would have to be done in IMC

A good run for the new engine though.

I will post a few more pics later.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A part of the reason for flying up was to give the new engine a good run, and a part was to ask around regarding the EuroGA fly-in.

The highly regarded “EE USK” (what a strange name) fish restaurant is indeed very good. They can accommodate 10-20 people at short notice provided that they are happy to sit at different tables (I can’t see a problem with that; people can usefully talk at a big table anyway) and it is best to avoid the 7-8pm peak time. A few days’ notice is fine. The menu is online here. It’s quite a big place, doing pizzas etc too. They also do good salads.

I stayed at a really nice guest house and of course with booking.com and airb&b things are much easier than they used to be.

Regarding fuel, it is a good idea to let Paul Keegan know a few days in advance. He runs the Oban fuel operation and is a really nice and helpful guy. He is also a pilot of many years. But he doesn’t think there would be a problem anyway.

Snowdonia

This layer of fog was rather worrying, although there was a lot more distance to run

A lot of cloud near Oban but broken

Underneath it now – I would want to be running two different kinds of GPS maps if doing this in IMC over the water

Runway in the middle – this is a view from the downwind RH leg

Final 19

In the town

Walking up to the round tower

The purpose of it appears to be unknown but there is various speculation

Some people have funny things in their garden

Alcohol is a big local industry

Various boat trips are available

Sunset, from the tower. Quite a crowd gathered there, from all over the world

Departure, again runway 19

The cloud tops were about 5900ft which coincided with the maximum altitude I could get as VFR traffic further down the route (this is why we do the IR )

A very tall tower (2453ft) just north of the Manchester/Liverpool low level corridor (max 1300 ft QNH is allowed in the corridor and it is probably a shooting range on sunny weekends!)

Overflying the Brize Norton zone; the turboprop was in their CAS whose top is 3500ft

Administrator

I’ve booked into the Best Western in Oban. £80 B&B for a single room for one night.

It’s got the best cancellation policy that I could find. Cancellable up to 4pm the night before. I couldn’t find anything cancellable on the day of arrival.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Video of the flight Shoreham-Oban

I edited it to leave in basically the ATC calls.

VFR is a lot more work than IFR

An Arrow crashed into the sea near Isle of Arran at the time I was arriving there. It does sound like a loss of control in the clouds. Even below the clouds the vis was quite bad.

Administrator

What is the interest, if any, in the weekends of 10/11 or 17/18 June?

Administrator

I’d prefer July, but will make an effort whatever the date.

Sollas fly in is 15-16 July, so that would kill two birds with one stone.

Nice weather today (and always a good lunch) at the Glenforsa Hotel (barely ten minutes from Oban):

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

We’ll be up on the weekend of the 17th/18th (and probably the weekend before, but driving a removals van, so I don’t think it counts)

EGEO

Very nice video Peter. Particularly liked the editing with ATC transmission. For such a long VFR flight, made good watching. The caravan park owner used to get very excited about right base/final to 19, and complaints would transmit about idiots overflying the park. Dangerous, can’t be doing that. For a time we used to cut it, coming in at a 45 degree angle along the beach, then dip into final at the last van. It’s not actually that bad, but I think with the Islander traffic these complaints may have ceased. Most councils, unless it is in their interest, have deaf ears and selective amnesia.

Noted your routing. I tend to go via WAL/DCS and put up with Liverpool ATC

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

The caravan park owner used to get very excited about right base/final to 19, and complaints would transmit about idiots overflying the park. Dangerous, can’t be doing that

What exactly was he expecting when he made a caravan park that close to an active airfield!?

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message