Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scotland Meetup - Oban EGEO 22/23 July 2017

Great video Peter, thanks for taking the time to compile it

UK, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

What exactly was he expecting when he made a caravan park that close to an active airfield!?

The ‘active airfield’ was a gliding site, prior to that an old RAF field. The caravan park was there, I may be wrong, but prior to the gliding site being developed. The council then came along and spent £9million of taxpayers money to turn it into an active airfield. After that, the caravan owners had no real say…….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

The Mooney has already 1 reservation of 3hours in the middle of that weekend and I don’t see any fun by coming with a C152 (it takes for ages), so I won’t be able to fly this time although it sounds like a nice destination/scenery.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Provisionally this is now set for 17/18 June.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was thinking about the weekend of 16/7 ?? ( regarding dublin pilot? : Regarding dates, let me suggest 15-16 July.)

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Has anyone booked any accomodation for this?

I’m finding it hard to find something reasonable (quality & price) with a 1 or 2 day cancellation policy for 17/18 June. Seems to be too short notice to book.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I booked the Royal Hotel on booking.com for Saturday night at £85. There is a very good cancellation policy on that one, otherwise it is cheaper.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve also booked into the Royal Hotel. Hopefully will be arriving with one or two passengers.

If anyone is planning on joining us and it’s their first time flying in the area, I’d suggest that you apply to Oban airport for a free out of hours permit for Coll & Colonsay. You might enjoy making a little stop there.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Have also booked into the Royal Hotel for Saturday night. Expect to land about 12.30 local.

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom

BeechBaby wrote:

The council then came along and spent £9million of taxpayers money to turn it into an active airfield.

Actually, it was a far more active airfield before the council spent the money. At that time it had 2 runways too. The whole saga of how HIAL took over Oban, purporting to turn it into a commercial success, and then broke it is quite funny, if you disregard the effect on GA and local operators. They even managed to get the runway unlicensed for a while, by aggravating the flying club – and ask why the fire station is half-underground (but perhaps don’t ask the staff) and why you need to make a separate phone call for fuel… classic local government fiasco.

Although there is still some ridiculous stuff (call for engine start is required even VFR!) the airport staff on the ground are generally very friendly and helpful. After flying in from Glenforsa (well worth a stop) the firemen let me use their hose to wash off the mud.

I wish I could be there to join you. It’s a beautiful part of the world.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire
Sign in to add your message