Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SE IR to ME IR

Quick question, can’t seem to dig up a definitive answer in Part.FCL.

So, my ME/IR has lapsed (around 7 years ago). I’m current on SE/IR. Might possibly need to fly the Seneca next summer.
I realize I need to re-do the whole ME rating which I guess is 6 hrs flying and 7 hrs theory (FCL.725.A).

Do I need additional training to expand the IR to the ME or can I simply do a ME/IR skilltest after obtaining the class rating again?

Thanks guys.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

I realize I need to re-do the whole ME rating which I guess is 6 hrs flying and 7 hrs theory (FCL.725.A).

Talk to a flying school about it, you need one anyway with EASA. Depending on previous experience there may be some credit (but I don’t want to raise false hopes here…). Part of the flying can be done on a FNPT.

NorFlyer wrote:

Do I need additional training to expand the IR to the ME or can I simply do a ME/IR skilltest after obtaining the class rating again?

The best is to do the whole training under IR. It is some time that I last did such a refresher course with a student but we always did everything under IFR. Maybe an extra couple of VFR patterns after each training flight to get some landing experience again. And then a single skill test under IR.

EDDS - Stuttgart

NorFlyer good question. If the IR ME is a revalidation and not a renewal because of your current IR SE (am not sure this is the case, hopefully what_next can advise), then an IR examiner might combine the two tests as you would typically do in a revalidation. However if the ME IR is a renewal you may need a CAA examiner, and he may expect you to have your ME current when you present yourself for test.

Some candidates for airlines just renew their ME IR, but not their MEP, as they don’t need the MEP as they will be getting a type rating.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

These kinds of questions are often very hard to read out from the Part-FCL. I’d be happy if someone can prove me wrong. Good luck with the training!

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

These kinds of questions are often very hard to read out from the Part-FCL.

I don’t even try. As you need an FTO anyway for this kind of thing I forward all those inquiries (usually from former students and colleagues) to our head of training. It’s his job. I go fyling with the guys once we are told for how long.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks, will report back when I get a definitive answer.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

You need to get MEP first (some ground school and 5 flight hours) and then ME/IR difference training (3 flight hours AFAIK). Of course check this with FTO but at least it was like that few years ago – I don’t think much changed.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message