Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Secrets of Greece?

It will attract a sight more if some of the problems can be solved. Such as getting a VFR chart finally plus others.

Mooney Driver FYI there are VFR charts for Greece. They are not published by the state but a private group of Helicopter pilots.

Check the samples here: (bottom right)

LGMG Megara, Greece

Some more secrets of Greece ...

As of 28 June 2013 all airspace within Greece (the change which affects us is in FL195 and below) will be categorized.

ENR section of Greece AIP effective from 28/6/2013, already sent in hard copy to briefing offices and CD version subscribers but downloadable in on line format of AIP after that date.

The part that changes:

1.4.2.3 Airspace classification above FL 195

1.4.2.3.1 The airspace within HELLAS UIR and the airspace above FL195 within ATHINAI FIR, are designated as class C airspace.

1.4.2.3.2 Apart from the services and requirements, described in paragraph 1.4.1, specific instructions and requirements for flights operating above FL195, are described in other sections, subsections and parts of the AIP (see. ENR 1.1, ENR 1.2, ENR 1.3, GEN 1.5, GEN 3.4 ).

1.4.2.4 Airspace classification at or below FL195

1.4.2.4.1 Airspace out of the areas of Airways, TMAs, MTMAs, CTRs, MCTRs and ATZs is classified as class G.

1.4.2.4.2 The airspace of CTRs and ATZs of uncontrolled aerodromes is classified as class G, with the additional requirement of a continuous two-way radio communication for all flights.

1.4.2.4.3 The airspace of CTRs and ATZs of controlled aerodromes is classified as class D.

1.4.2.4.4 The airspace within Airways, is classified as class E.

1.4.2.4.5 The airspace of TMAs is classified as class E, with the additional requirement of a continuous two-way radio communication for all flights.

No change in the below part for VFR flights, I just highlight it.

It means that within Greek Territory (land + sea within 12nm from shores i.e. not in international waters) you must remain within lateral limits (regardless of vertical) of controlled airspace. Within international waters (12nm beyond any shores) there's no restriction regarding CAS.

Well, not need to worry much since almost 90% of our territory has some CIV or MIL CAS and there is almost no remote territory (island/islet) without some CAS above it.

Within those huge TMAs or MTMAs there are VFR routes but most of the times you are allowed to diverge vertical and lateral as long as you are in communication and have a Mode C transponder on (no radar service to VFRs, they just need to watch you).

1.2.4 VFR Flights operating at and below FL 195

1.2.4.1 VFR flights, when operating above Greek territory at and below FL 195:

a) shall fly within the lateral limits of controlled airspace (airways, TMAs, MTMAs, CTRs),

b) shall follow VFR routes and altitudes where established, when flying within or into TMAs/MTMAs unless otherwise cleared by the appropriate ATC unit,

c) shall follow instructions and/or clearances issued by the appropriate ATC unit, when flying within or into TMAs/MTMAs where VFR routes and altitudes are not established.

1.2.4.2 VFR flights, when operating above high seas but out of TMAs, MTMAs and CTRs at and below FL 195 are not obliged to fly within the lateral limits of controlled airspace.

1.2.4.3 VFR flights operating at and below FL 195 are uncontrolled flights and are provided only with FIS. Terrain and obstacles clearance rest with the pilot.

1.2.4.4 Within CTRs and controlled ATZs VFR flights are always considered as Controlled Flights.

1.2.4.5 VFR flights in level cruising flight when operated above 3000 FT from the ground or water until FL 195 shall be conducted at a flight level appropriate to the track as specified in the table of cruising levels, except where otherwise indicated in air traffic control clearances or specified for flights within controlled airspace.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Sorry, but if this is all true (and I understood it correctly), it's a huge disappointment. Why do they continue to restrict VFR flights to controlled airspace?

As a consequence, there will be no uncontrolled VFR flights, where the pilot picks his routing at his own discretion, like in every other civilised country. Also, it means no flying without mandatory radio contact. No "bimbling".

What do I need a VFR map for if all flying is however controlled and ATC will tell me where to go? Third world, I would say. Even Poland succede with their transition from the VK-tracks system to a "normal" system.

I gather that this means no flying without a previously file flightplan?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico

Let me explain it better.

You fly wherever you like as long as you remain within lateral limits (regardless of the altitude) of CAS.

Still though you will find that most of the country is covered laterally with some CAS in most places. Except of the airways which are above you, exactly because the TMAs and MTMAs are so huge, ATC are quite relaxed in letting you route as you like inside them.

They key point is for them to be INFORMED about the route and to approve it.

This is done via VHF on the fly before entering (or via ground phone relay from neighbor ATS unit if not in range due to terrain).

The only occasion they may tell you how/where to route from, is on a already NOTAMed MIL exercise or some IFR traffic coming towards you when nearby airports.

Non CAS covered territory where VFR is not allowed is very very rare. They are things like sparse 10nm long little triangles between some airways up north where nobody actually bothers on the typical part of the issue. We have many airways crossing Greece because of the Europe to Middle East and Far East flow. Some reserved MIL training areas are most of the times above international waters (12nm beyond coast) so there the rules about VFR don't apply; only the usual (as everywhere) active or not status due to MIL traffic (almost never on weekends).

Two are the main differences from other countries in the flying part:

1. There is no airspace where you are allowed NOT to be in contact with some ATS unit (in can be FIS no ATC).

2. You are obliged to submit FPL for any flight, even local ones.

3. You cannot operate from state owned airports when CAA is not there.

The FPL issue practically it makes little difference nowadays with the on line tools available or a simple mobile phone call where you can call any ATS unit and submit.

As I wrote somewhere early up this thread, the reason extra procedures and restrictions exist is because Greece territory is not like central Europe or Balkans. Check further up the post I mention border of European union, lots of islands, terrain, international waters etc. etc. There are some spots in this country where you can get in/via/to/from really remote sea or mainland locations. There are implications in this regarding SAR, immigration, illegal trafficking, customs and National security related issues.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Petakas,

do you have a picture of the new Greek airspace layout (should be in the AIP) so that we can see how much is actually covered by airspace E?

I am disappointed that traffic in G is not allowed but I can understand why Greece does it like that. They want to know about every single airplane flying in its airspace so that when they discover traffic that is not known, they can intercept it because it is by definition a perpetrator.

They want to know about every single airplane flying in its airspace so that when they discover traffic that is not known, they can intercept it because it is by definition a perpetrator.

achimha

Exactly this is one of the main reasons and we have many such flights (see bottom paragraph of this article) on daily basis something I wish not to elaborate further on since its not the subject of this thread ;-)

Traffic in G is allowed the only difference is that you have to call someone so they know who you are, that's all there is to it.

Regarding the chart, no I have no source yet. I assume the greekhelicopters.com chart will soon be updated but practically as I wrote there's no change that restricts you further. The change just changes airspace below FL195 from:

"Controlled"

and

"Non Controlled"

to

Class D, E and G

that's all there is to it.

The existing charts do show the controlled airspace on the VFR background plus all the airways and terminal airspace.

In practical terms it will only get better since ATC will have less freedom to self interpret what they can ORDER VFR flights and what not. There were cases of local interpretations where they were ordering them as IFR. That will be a thing of the past since only obligation is "to be in contact".

LGMG Megara, Greece

I have never had any problem flying in Greece, VFR or IFR.

I think the basic observation to make is that you cannot fly around non-radio, and you have to file flight plans.

This isn't unique; for example Spain requires a flight plan for all flight in CAS, which is probably most practical flight in Spain. And nowadays filing flight plans electronically is so easy.

The Greekhelicopters chart is the 1998 ONC chart, with some old stuff removed and annotated with some recent detail. I flew to Greece with this chart from my earliest trips (2004) onwards. The terrain and airports have not moved since 1998.

In retrospect it's quite funny to realise that, back then, I simply assumed that all of Greece was Class G, except bits of Class D around airports (which I copied out of Navbox onto the ONC chart) and except the Athens TMA (which I did not fly into anyway). Then Petakas told me that all flights have to be on published airways so I just flew those (e.g. A14). And flights plans always needed. I did that and it all just worked.

Presumably what you can't do is just take off from say Samos and fly over to Mykonos, non-radio, no flight plan, in the way you can fly in the UK from say Shoreham to Bembridge.

But then Samos and Mykonos have a whole lot more class than Bembridge, and definitely uncomparably more edible food than Bembridge, so I consider this a fair deal

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LOL! Peter, nicely put.

Another secret of Greece coming up. A fellow ATCO and PPL is developing this platform in WIP status.

http://geo-carto-02.aegean.gr/AERO/OL/aerowebgisol.html

If you tick only

• Airspace (Greece only)
  • FIRs/UIRs (Europe only)
  • Buffered Airways (Europe only)

and you can see the bits that are not under controlled airspace.

Add to these the 12nm from shores (developer working on that) and you will have the only bits of Greek territory that typically are not under any sort of CAS.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Some more secrets of Greece. If you don't mind I'll post from time to time some links like this when I see something separating from the "mass". http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/5-greek-islands-you-havent-heard-of-but-need-to-see/article12285020/ One of these 5 has an airport ;-)

BTW, this EuroGA thread with the airport islands listings in its initial posts generated a new page in AOPA Greece for a similar rough guide to Greek islands with airport. You can find it at: http://www.aopa.gr/aopa/?l=en --> Aviation Environment --> Airports (not the Megara sub-tab)

LGMG Megara, Greece

A great writeup.

I did two of those islands last year.

Matching up the Samothraki ferry timetable with the Alexandropolis airport opening hours was "interesting"

Samos is actually a superb GA stop. Avgas, Customs, good opening hours, totally helpful.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message