Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Secrets of Greece?

I agree with you about Sifnos no airport but a real great island.
Last year I was to Skiros. Last islands of sporades I like it….

If you go driving pillion is very nice, halkidiki in north also. My Greek friends are found of samotraki but I ve never been.

PPG
LFNV

Peter, i didn’t agree with you about Karpathos. As you I m found of Greece and I know a lot of different places.
I was impressed by Karpathos beauty. But it is the north part of the island.
Olympos and diaphani are very nice places.
The island is wild and you need to drive. But landscapes were really amazing. Sarai small island in north nobody on it is nice to.
Main town has no special interest.
First time this summer
Food was good too especially goth (katsiki)
Airport was normal national one bit when I ask during the week to do way and way back to Sitia for petrol
Just leave the place for 2 h civil aviation refused because of slot management… I wanted to offer to Greek friends the pleasure of a small flight… no way.

PPG
LFNV

I have not come across that before. And they should mention the option.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To update my post above about Kithira, I have just discovered that their AIP is utterly bogus on Immigration and Customs and has probably been for years. See here.

In fairness, HO basically means “when someone is paying us enough for it.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

To update my post above about Kithira, I have just discovered that their AIP is utterly bogus on Immigration and Customs and has probably been for years. See here.

Bloody embarrassing to have been recommending this destination since my visit in 2011, with them sitting on a duff AIP, nothing notamed, and doing nothing about it.

Just cancelled a trip down there. The options for clearing schengen are too complicated given other constraints.

Administrator

You can see the main trip reports here and I put a load of the airport data on the EuroGA airports database.

The most lovely island was probably Kithira. No fuel but it is a port of entry so could be done to/from say Dubrovnik.

In fact all Greek islands I’ve been to (and I have done most of those which have a runway, except Kos, Rhodos, Kefalonia and a few others) have been wonderful – except Zakynthos (for some reason, marketed for really cheap tourism) and Corfu today is not so great unless you go off the “standard track” (too much tourism and food tends to be crap). Karpathos was another place which didn’t offer much, and was packed with tourists, plus a disorganised airport. Sitia on Crete is a great base (avgas and a port of entry) for flying around Greece, and for driving around that part of Crete.

There is a lot of Greece which we have not done yet, but the last year or two have obviously been difficult. Plus Justine won’t do long flights with me anymore (a gradual build-up of anxiety; not uncommon among “pilot wives” who have heard too much conversation about crashes etc ) which means she flies by airline while I fly down there on my own, which I don’t enjoy so much, especially the return flight. I would like to combine the flights with meeting-up etc but it’s hard to organise. But still our best ever trip to Greece was Kastelorizo which is a really lovely place, which we did in 2018. Our last trip to Greece was by airline in 2019 when we did Naxos (which does have an airport; I believe very restricted now and we flew to Mykonos which is also off-limits to GA today due to “lack of parking” (read: stupid corrupt management)) and Siphnos and both were lovely.

Must go back soon!

Administrator

In my short 16 hour visit to Karpathos I found the scenery compelling, reminded me of parts of the Sinai desert. The island was deserted because it does not function as an entry point to Greece as they are missing passport control now for some reason. I can imagine that when it does open up, it is full off cheap charter traffic.

So to be on the safe side, I will go with Peter’s recommendation.

Peter, can you list your favorites in Greece?

LLHA, Israel

I did Karpathos here. Not a particularly great destination; a lot of surprisingly cheap tourism, presumably because some travel companies have decided to heavily promote it, same as Zakynthos gets heavily promoted to the “18-30 club” type of very bottom-end partying market. The airport was manic and disorganised. Most Greek islands are nicer – IMHO

Administrator

I m a Greece fan and I know all you re speaking about, (I’m going Ioannina, Syros and Karpathos this august, and I was there last summer)…
In your case you were flying JetA1 with good range…. What an advantage !

in Greece difficulties are

- Lack of AVGAS
- Fraport is always more expensive by far if you stay serveral days
- Opening Hours of airport

For other things, Greece is paradise…

Thanks for sharing

Any advice for Karpathos ? it will be my first time there.

PPG
LFNV

I am all for cost reduction…
The requirement for handling/PPR even when not required is a pain. At least, PPR requests should be free.

LLHA, Israel
118 Posts
Sign in to add your message