Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Selecting a new airfield and aircraft

Evening all!

I am soon faced with the dilemma of finding a new aircraft and airfield to fly from as I move from Hamburg to Cologne. I’ve done as much research as I can and have narrowed it down (or, more accurately, geography did that for me) to three suitable locations. I’ll list them below, as well as their pros and cons.

Leverkusen EDKL
Distance from new home: 17km, 20 Minutes
Pros: Very close to home. More opportunity to be spontaneous. Will be able to spend more time there.
Cons: Potentially restricting operating hours. Grass runway. Weather more of an issue with grass.

Mönchengladbach EDLN
Distance from new home: 54km, 40 Minutes
Pros: Controlled and fully equipped.
Cons: Very little choice for clubs/rentals.

Bonn Hangelar EDKB
Distance from new home: 43km, 40 Minutes
Pros: Best choice of aircraft for rental/clubs to join.
Cons: Very busy, uncontrolled.

I should explain that a controlled airport is more appealing to me. I learned to fly at a large controlled airport and I would like to stay well in practice with all the procedures relating to operations at a controlled airport. I am currently based at an airfield which, if anything, is too relaxed. It is frustrating trying to find a Flugleiter to see me out/in, and if I’ve driven an hour to get there it is disheartening to find nobody on the airfield when I arrive, despite attempting to organise one beforehand.

I am purely VFR and fairly low time, so aircraft type isn’t too important. My main goal for flying this year is cross countries and to try and travel a bit, so a good cruiser would be nice. A simple PA28 would be perfect, as I prefer low wing. But of course this is open to negotiation.

I have found numerous clubs to join in Bonn but very little elsewhere. If anybody has any suggestions or tips, especially for EDLN (I’ve only found one busy flying school and Aeroclub77) I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Don’t fear small airfields. Leverkusen has a nice airfield and Bonn is easy, too. Nörvenich has a civil aeroclub. Many drive out to the Dahlemer Binz, too.

If you can drive to Gladbach, you might consider Aachen,too. Located directly at the motorway with a very good charter company (Westflug) and many clubs. Opening hrs are very good.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

EDKL is more permissive than it seems to, and the maintenance guys in the hangar are very helpful. Generally, a nice club airfield. Lots of various events. Avgas prices may be a bit unpredictable. Train station within walking distance.
EDKB is extremely nice in every respect. Unlike EDKL, it’s international. Very helpful and good-natured people. 100LL is usually (though not always) a bit cheaper than at EDKL, and they also have 91UL (or at least used to, I haven’t been there in a while). A tram stop very close by.
Haven’t been to EDLN, only used their ILS for cloudbreak to go to EDKL…
Aachen EDKA is OK but the runway is very short, only 520 m.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 07 Feb 23:13
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

EDKA is long enough for the Westflug to rent out Mooneys without bigger problems. Sounds shorter than it actually is.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

NinerEchoPapa wrote:

It is frustrating trying to find a Flugleiter to see me out/in, and if I’ve driven an hour to get there it is disheartening to find nobody on the airfield when I arrive, despite attempting to organise one beforehand.

I know German’s are world renown for obeying rules, but it must be tempting to just go ahead and take off as planned

EGTR

Hi,

This is my home turf, more or less, so a couple of considerations:

For EDLN, consider the traffic you’re likely to hit on the A57 depending on what time of the day you’ll go flying. Also, their AVGAS price is outrageous. If you need advice on private charter opportunities, feel free to send me a PM (also, if you have good opportunities to charter in or near Hamburg that are not well publicized, I’d be happy to hear about those because I spend a great deal up there for work). Some of the people I know who rent out their planes out of EDLN also read along here.

If you choose EDKB, you can still practice your controlled airfield procedures at nearby EDDK and EDDL.

If you’re looking for a club with a very good overall package, consider LSVR in EDLP. It’s a far stretch, but absolutely worth it and unparalleled in many ways.

Finally, as a non-owner, you do not actually need to make that decision. You have the liberty to build up a network of opportunities to fly at various airfields – of course at the expense of other liberties that owners enjoy.

Last Edited by Patrick at 08 Feb 13:24
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

mh wrote:

If you can drive to Gladbach, you might consider Aachen,too. Located directly at the motorway with a very good charter company (Westflug) and many clubs. Opening hrs are very good.

I’ve looked at Aachen and there are indeed some good options. Westflug will require a little more digging as they have no prices on their website, but the aircraft fits in with what I’m looking for.

Ultranomad wrote:

EDKB is extremely nice in every respect.

This seems to be the logical choice so far!

mmgreve wrote:

I know German’s are world renown for obeying rules, but it must be tempting to just go ahead and take off as planned

Everybody I speak to at the airfield has a different interpretation of this rule, and apparently it has an exemption of some sort. But yes, when I show up and the place is deserted I usually pre-flight and hope that someone shows up. I’ve been lucky most of the time but one day my luck will run out.

Patrick wrote:

Some of the people I know who rent out their planes out of EDLN also read along here.

If they happen to be reading this, it would be great if they could make themselves known!

Patrick wrote:

If you choose EDKB, you can still practice your controlled airfield procedures at nearby EDDK and EDDL.

At the moment I usually end up transiting along the Elbe through EDDH for practice but I’ve only landed at a controlled airport once in the last year (EHGG).

Patrick wrote:

also, if you have good opportunities to charter in or near Hamburg that are not well publicized, I’d be happy to hear about those because I spend a great deal up there for work

Unfortunately I am just scratching the surface of the flying community in Germany so have next to no contacts. For what it’s worth, I fly from here.

Fuel price isn’t much of a concern for me as any renting I’ll be doing will most likely be wet (of course I realise the hourly rate may vary depending on the fuel price).

Thanks for your help so far.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Regarding to your fears about the grass runway of EDKL:

Cons: Potentially restricting operating hours. Grass runway. Weather more of an issue with grass.

I have been there several times with the Bonnie while it was really bad weather. I did the IFR cloudbreaking at EDDK and continued to EDKL. The runway condition was never an issue. It‘s one of the best grass strips I know.

EDDS , Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message