Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP CBIR to MEP

Has anybody with a SEP CB IR converted it to a MEP? What is involved ?

I understand I can convert my IMCR by doing my revalidation flight In an MEP.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Don’t underestimate what is involved. Do you already have an MEP class rating? if not you first have to carry out the training and pass a written and a practical flight check.

From memory you would then need to carry out 5 hours training in an ATO, 3 hours of which can be in an FNPT2.

In reality the jump to MEP/IR will take longer. One experienced SEP/IR went for the minimum and failed series 1 and 2. Realistically I suggest at least 5 hours FNPT2, and at least 6 hours in the aircraft. This would allow for three test profile sorties in the aircraft.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Alex_ wrote:

Has anybody with a SEP CB IR converted it to a MEP? What is involved ?

I’ve done it, it was 5h minimum and then a full flight test.

As above, 5hours + 6 hours (+test) for the MEP is what is required.

As said above, while each on its own is feasible, to do them straight after each other can be a bit tricky. The things in the IR test that will catch you out will not be the IR part, but the unfamiliarity with the aircraft, its systems, and the ME handling.

To give you an example – I partialled my ME/IR upgrade on the visual circle-to-land because I was too high on final, and that was my SECOND single engine circuit on type – the first one was a check profile flown before the actual check. I did the MEP rating in a Cessna 303, and the ME/IR upgrade in a DA42 because of CAA complications.

While this was a bit extreme (flight test with 3 hours on type – that was stupid), I would recommend that you make sure you are comfortable with the aircraft you will fly the IR check in before starting the IR.

Biggin Hill

Thanks very much. I will be doing the IMCR renewal in the Aztec which I have around 8 hours on. I don’t know where I will find an ATO with an Aztec!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Alex_ wrote:

I don’t know where I will find an ATO with an Aztec!

That is not the hardest problem. A friendly ATO should be able to add an aircraft, although that will be a bit of paperwork effort.

@Timothy might know who does Aztecs, or would be willing to.

There also is the issue of finding an examiner. My issue was that I had to arrange for, and pay for, differences training for the examiner before he would to the test in the C303, which involved arranging a “summit” with an instructor who could do that differences training. Hence I had to do my ME/IR extension on the DA42, which was quicker, if a bit worthless (I spent another couple of hours on the C303 practicing IFR until I was comfortable)

Biggin Hill

I have historically been examined on the Aztec by a number of IRE/CREs, and am happy to share names.

I am not clear why you need an ATO with an Aztec? Why not just do the renewal on whatever you can get your hands on, including the Aztec you fly. Anyway, give me a ring and I can make some suggestions, though I know very little in the Shoreham area. But if you are willing to leave the South Coast you should be fine.

EGKB Biggin Hill

He needs an initial ME/IR skills test…

Biggin Hill

Can the initial IR skills test not be done in ones own aircraft?

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

Can the initial IR skills test not be done in ones own aircraft?

I did my SEIR → MEIR upgrade in “own” aircraft 1.5 years ago. I don’t think rules have changed since then. I’m not even sure if the ATO had their own aircraft.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message