Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP IFR airplane with TKS/De-Ice?

What options one the market are there if you want a moderate +/-150kt IFR touring airplane with TKS or De-Ice capabilities?

Playing with the thought starting a group +/-10 IFR pilots and buying an airplane with 10-20k euro shares. I know many pilots on the local club who feel the need of a more capable airplane compared to the regular C172s and PA28s they usually fly. Price range 100k-200k euros. Seems possible…

Have seen

Mooney M20

TB20

Have seen Cirrus SR22G2 in that range, Link (ok no ADF or DME, high time engine?)

What others are there?

Anyone else who has done this?

Any suggestions? SR22 seems to be pretty low priced since it has CAPS, modern avionics and is fast compared to older airplanes with TKS. How about operating costs?

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 20 Nov 23:15
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Commander 115TC

United Kingdom

What exactly is TKS? What about a DA40/42 ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

TKS is a system to pump alcohol over the leading edges of wings, empennage and the prop & windshield.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@LeSving: for the DA40 FIKI (TKS) is not available, and, additionally, doesn’t make it to 150kts; the DA42 typically is sold with TKS (there are only few DA42 without TKS, mostly sold to Florida based flight schools because they don’t need TKS for their MEP training), but Jonas asked for a SEP, so the DA42 is not an option here.

@Jonas: ever thought about a MEP?

What about a well maintained C210? AVailable with boots and complete de-ice, with or without FIKI. Reported to handle weather well; there was a corporate one that flew the Skagerrak (northern Denmark to Oslo) all winter with fair regularity.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

+1 for a C210. There is also a TKS system for the C182 (cheaper to run than a 210), but AFAIK there aren’t many around. There was one for sale in Germany but it’s now sold, no idea about the price. Still up on one of the plane-for-sale sites, so a call to the vendor / broker should give a ballpark idea about cost.

What options one the market are there if you want a moderate +/-150kt IFR touring airplane with TKS or De-Ice capabilities?

+1 Cessna Centurion

As a matter of fact, I have a T210L with full deice boots & hot prop that will be on the market soon at a very reasonable price …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Thanks for all input so far.

If there were any DA40 TDIs with TKS produced i would be happy :)

DA42 TDI is interesting, but i don’t have the rating and it might be hard to find others with it. Not sure about the operating costs vs Avgas SEP.

C210, interesting but maybe to big. I rarely fly with more than 2 passengers.

Would be interesting to find some candidates (that are fully payed) and compare operating costs vs regular club machine like C172 180HP… How attractive would it be, cost per mile and extra features such TKS and maybe higher operating ceiling.

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

I this case an SR22 built after 2003 (introduction of glass cockpit) might be of interest. Especially after 2005 many are equipped with TKS, and if if’s GTS version (most were delivered as GTS) it will have Skywatch, Stormscope and EGPWS (TAWS-B) too. And sometimes you find one with the DFC90 and WAAS navigators too …

59 Posts
Sign in to add your message