Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP/MEP/IR Revalidation

Continuing the discussion from here: I have (for the first time this year) MEP with IR and SEP with IR. I want to revalidate both of them. What are the options to do that?

Until now (SEP only, no IR) I had to show 12 hours of flight + 12 take offs and landings + 6 hours PIC in the last 12 months before the SEP expiration + a skill test flight.

For MEP I now know I have to either have 10 legs or fly one route sector with an examiner.

What about IR? What combinations are possible?

When I revalidate MEP, does SEP get revalidated automatically or do I have to do that separately? What about IR on SEP when I revalidate IR on MEP?

In general, what is the minimum/best thing to do to keep all ratings?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

You can do it all in one flight, in a MEP with an examiner.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Do I need to show 12 hours SEP + 12 landings, etc.?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

If you want to keep your single engine piston rating, you need to show the 12 hours etc. every 24 months, and that revalidates it.

If you want to keep your ME rating and your multi-engine IR, you do one proficiency check covering both every 12 months. The route sectors are a red herring – basically if you haven’t flown 10 sectors, you need to do one navigation leg to show that you can still go from A to B, as part of the proficiency check.

The ME IR covers you for the single as well.

I let my SEP lapse, I haven’t flown a single in a few years so didn’t have the hours and didn’t see the point in revalidating by check.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

you need to show the 12 hours etc. every 24 months

Do I have to fill in the two forms, one for the MEP (this here) and one for the SEP (this here)?

Cobalt wrote:

you do one proficiency check covering both every 12 months

What should the check contain? IR, VFR, both?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The IR MEP SP in EASA conveys IR privileges SE.

Your biannual SEP rating renewal is not a test, if you have the currency all you need is one hour dual with an instructor and following that an examiner signs your licence, in most places for free.

As this is your first IR revalidation I would suggest: one hour SEP dual where you could practise some IR which renews your SEP (every two years, so not annual), an hour or two prep in the SIM with an IR instructor, the IR revalidation in the SIM, followed by an hour or so prep in the MEP for your MEP SP revalidation. Approximately six hours in total. If you are reasonably current you may only need one hour prep for your MEP/IR combined next year as you will need to do it in the aircraft.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

Do I need to show 12 hours SEP + 12 landings, etc.?

If your SEP rating is still valid (the validity is 2 years, MEP lasts only 1 year) all you need to have is three instrument approaches SEP during the last 12 months in order to revalidate your SEP/IR together with the MEP/IR checkride. Make sure the examiner ticks all the right boxes. (I just did mine that way). Otherwise you need those 12 hours. But don’t forget about the 90-day rule: If you want to carry passengers in a SEP you must have three takeoffs and landings during the preceding 90 days in a single, especially if you did your checkride in a multi!

Last Edited by what_next at 13 Apr 10:12
EDDS - Stuttgart

RobertL18C wrote:

Your biannual SEP rating renewal is not a test, if you have the currency all you need is one hour dual with an instructor and following that an examiner signs your licence, in most places for free.

Here I have to fill in the 60.521 form and send it to FOCA. Also I have to make a flight with an examiner. Definitely not for free, although if I had a friend examiner that could be cheaper.

RobertL18C wrote:

the IR revalidation in the SIM, followed by an hour or so prep in the MEP for your MEP SP revalidation

That means the IR/MEP revalidation is made in the sim while MEP is made on the plane? Why not together?

RobertL18C wrote:

MEP/IR combined next year as you will need to do it in the aircraft

So one year in the sim, another in the aircraft? Why?

what_next wrote:

three instrument approaches SEP during the last 12 months in order to revalidate your SEP/IR together with the MEP/IR

And if I have the 12s but not three instrument approaches in SEP, does SEP/IR get revalidated with the MEP/IR?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 13 Apr 10:21
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

And if I have the 12s but not three instrument approaches in SEP, does SEP/IR get revalidated with the MEP/IR?

No. You will need to do an extra checkride in the SEP.

EDDS - Stuttgart

In reality, you just go and fly three approaches in the SEP on your own. If you really fly the 12 hours, you surely can fit them in somehow.

Biggin Hill
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message