Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

Details here

I am trying to work out what the benefit of this is meant to be.

Does it mean that if e.g. you have an IR revalidation flight every year, you can always revalidate your PPL using this method, and thus avoid any extra flying and also avoid a ~£50 charge which the IRE might ask for for filling in that form (in addition to the £150 for the IR reval)?

Otherwise, I can’t see how it works because a flight with an instructor every 2 years is unavoidable if you have only a PPL.

I have had “reval by experience” a few times in the distant past, IIRC.

What are the minimum qualifications for the instructor with whom you must have flown within the past 12 months?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does it mean that if e.g. you have an IR revalidation flight every year, you can always revalidate your PPL using this method

Yes. If you have an IR, the yearly IR checkride also revalidates your SEP class rating. Nothing else is required.

…because a flight with an instructor every 2 years is unavoidable.

No! If you do an IR checkride with an examiner every year, there is no need for this flight with an instructor.

What are the minimum qualifications for the instructor with whom you must have flown within the past 12 months?

AFAIK, he must have a license as CRI for SEP. Nothing else.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Many thanks. I actually edited my post while you were answering to say

a flight with an instructor every 2 years is unavoidable if you have only a PPL.

which is currently true for me because I am going to skip my IR reval this January (no point in doing it till 2016). The FAA IR is good till April 2016 (at least).

Unfortunately my class rating expires Dec 2015, which (if I renew the IR in Jan 2016) will leave me having to fly with an examiner in Jan 2016. So maybe I should reval the IR in Dec 2015 to simply maintain continuity.

Does the CRI have to sign in your logbook directly?

On a broader topic, I wondered if the “reval by experience” option is of any use whatsoever to a plain PPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So maybe I should reval the IR in Dec 2015 to simply maintain continuity.

That would be my suggestion! Otherwise, who knows, we meet again some time this year and I will happily spend an hour flying with you to fulfill your “flight with an instructor” condition

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Jan 21:06
EDDS - Stuttgart

I do that every year: when i do my IR check ride the instructor renews my SEP PIC aswell, which gives me two years of SEP PIC again.

As a CRI i can do the SEP PIC entry, and I do for some people in the flying club, friends etc.

Yes. If you have an IR, the yearly IR checkride also revalidates your SEP class rating. Nothing else is required.

In Switzerland, one can revalidate the SEP class rating during the IR checkride, but it’s a few additional boxes to tick during the flight. Ok, this amounts to maybe an additional 5 mins flight time… But I have to say before the flight whether I need the SEP revalidation too.

LSZK, Switzerland

In Czech Republic, if you revalidate by experience, you still need an examiner to look at your logbook and sign you off before the expiration date of your SEP rating. An IR checkride does revalidate your SEP – been there, done that.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

You need to be careful not to confuse Instrument ratings with class ratings. An IR renewal can only be used for an SEP revalidation if it is done on an SEP. You can renew your IR by sim or different Class (MEP) and this would not credit you as far as the SEP is concerned.

Sounds obvious but some fall foul of the rules.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I’m in my second year, so will have to renew, as usual by experience. Hours are no problem, but does anyone here know if the ‘one-hour-with-an-instructor’ requirement has changed with EASA? Specifically, does it need to be an EASA instructor or can it be any ICAO instructor (as in the past). The CAA website only states ‘Flight Instructor or CRI’.

I always thought it had to be an EASA instructor. When living I the US I renewed with a JAR-FCL instructor at a Scandinavian JAR/FAR flight school at Montgomery field. Might have been called Scandinavian Flight Academy. There might still be schools offering the EASA curriculum in CA.

LFPT, LFPN
169 Posts
Sign in to add your message