Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

Charlie wrote:

Just to be clear – in the UK you can get an SRG1100 form which gives you the licence privileges immediately after the test, irrespective of whether it’s on the licence already or not.

This is true from SEP up to A380

Apparently, not for an initial license issue.
I’ve tried it for my PPL after passing the skills test.

EGTR

I was given a piece of paper immediately after my test back in 2012, and told that I would be able to fly independently on it, pending issue of my licence by the CAA.

In practice I moved to rent aircraft from a different flying school who told me it was likely that my original school would recognise it, but that they would not. It came in handy later on when it came to converting my JAR license to EASA.

More input:

An examiner may provide a temp cert valid for 8 weeks from the date of passing a test/check/assessment for a rating/certificate. The examiner renewing your IR could have given you one.

The last IN (now cancelled) on the topic contains the same info as the general webpage.
InformationNotice2016101_pdf

FCL.010 Definitions:

‘Skill test’ means the demonstration of skill for a licence or rating issue, including such oral examination as may be required.

‘Proficiency check’ means the demonstration of skill to revalidate or renew ratings or privileges, and including such oral examination as may be required.

‘Assessment of competence’ means the demonstration of skills, knowledge and attitude for the initial issue, revalidation or renewal of an instructor or examiner certificate.

‘Revalidation’ (of, e.g. a rating or certificate) means the administrative action taken within the period of validity of a rating or certificate which allows the holder to continue to exercise the privileges of a rating or certificate for a further specified period consequent upon the fulfilment of specified requirements.

‘Renewal’ (of, e.g. a rating or certificate) means the administrative action taken after a rating or certificate has lapsed for the purpose of renewing the privileges of the rating or certificate for a further specified period consequent upon the fulfilment of specified requirements.

The requirement for medical fitness for a re-issued licence (eg UK CAA performs licence endorsement for renewal/reval) is in FCL.015:

“(a) An application for the issue, revalidation or renewal of pilot licences and associated ratings and certificates shall be submitted to the competent authority in a form and manner established by this authority. The application shall be accompanied by evidence that the applicant complies with the requirements for the issue, revalidation or renewal of the licence or certificate as well as associated ratings or endorsements, established in this Part and Part-Medical.”

Yet FCL.1030 requires examiners to make endorsements without reference to there being a valid appropriate medical:

“(2) in the event of a pass in a proficiency check or assessment of competence for revalidation or renewal, endorse the applicant’s licence or certificate with the new expiry date of the rating or certificate, if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence;”

It must make sense to someone. In Part-MED, MED.A.030, there’s a similar rule on licence applications:

“(b) An applicant for a licence, in accordance with Annex I (Part-FCL), shall hold a medical certificate issued in accordance with this Annex (Part-MED) and appropriate to the licence privileges applied for.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

kwlf wrote:

I was given a piece of paper immediately after my test back in 2012, and told that I would be able to fly independently on it, pending issue of my licence by the CAA.

In practice I moved to rent aircraft from a different flying school who told me it was likely that my original school would recognise it, but that they would not. It came in handy later on when it came to converting my JAR license to EASA.

So it was pre-EASA times? I did ask and my instructor confirmed that these days SRG 1100 cannot be used for an initial issue of PPL or CPL (ATPL?), they’ve checked it with UK CAA.
Might work in another country?

EGTR

Temporary certificates shall not be issued following a skill test for the grant of a licence. This is supported by the wording of the implementing rule ARA.FCL.215:

(d) The competent authority may develop procedures to allow privileges to be exercised by the licence or certificate holder for a maximum period of 8 weeks after successful completion of the applicable examination(s), pending the endorsement on the licence or certificate.

That rule took effect 25 Apr 2012 having been inserted into Part-FCL by Commission Regulation (EU) No 290/2012 of 30 March 2012.

UK CAA lists eligible ratings and certificates (link 1, link 2).

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

UK CAA lists eligible ratings and certificates (link 1, link 2).

Hm. It lists IR and EIR but NOT the IR(R) or IMC…

EGTR

Can an EASA FI sign off an EASA licence after doing the one hour SEP revalidation by experience flight? Or does it have to be an examiner?
(I know in the UK you need to be FCL945 approved – but what about EASA?) Thanks

United Kingdom

I think any FCL945 can do 1h flight and send papers to EASA NAA, the licence come back with new print

To sign or not? or who has FCL945? is highly country dependent
You won’t get an easy answer to this one

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think this might be country dependent. Here we have an online system called Sigibel to which the pilot, examiner and I think instructors can have access. All with different limits on the information available to them and the changes they can make. For the PPL SEP revalidation by experience the pilot fills his/her hours etc into Sigibel (it’s a record of your flying history over the years. I should say that declared to the DGAC.) You include on this the information on your bi-annual control flight. In my case my control is an MEIR revalidation every year. I print out the Sigibel document, show it to an instructor or examiner and they sign the back of my licence with the appropriate date of validity to when and the instructor’s/examiner’s licence number. It takes about 5 minutes and the only time it is necessary to send your licence to the DGAC is when further qualifications need to be added or when the licence is full.

France

If the FI is not aware of his/her privileges, the FI should not sign anything. :)

An examiner can always sign, no matter if the examiner has flown with the candidate or not.

When it comes to FCL.945, I am quite certain that the FI must hold the FCL.945 authorization from the same country as the candidate’s license. This is not standardized and works no matter the EASA country of origin.

I would be surprised if the UK already has a different system for this.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 05 Aug 13:47
ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message