Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

The UK CAA doesn’t check everything, plus a lot of these requirements are fossils. For example they have a particular liking for the term “CFI” (Chief Flying Instructor – a UK term which is a honorary one; if you are the oldest FI in a school you can call yourself “CFI”; you have some paperwork responsibility, not to be confused with an FAA CFI which is a specific thing). I know a guy who sent in some forms which required a “CFI” signature and he got them signed by an non UK EASA FI outside the UK, who wrote his FI number on the form, and nothing came back… Then later a UK CRI was used and again nothing came back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to check, when you mean “CAA PPL”, do you mean a UK CAA-issued EASA-FCL PPL with SEP rating? (I assume yes.)

I have often done the reverse, whereby a UK CAA FI/CRI was used to revalidate the SEP rating on my Germany-issued EASA-FCL PPL. The only additional requirement from the German side was to enclose a photocopy of the instructor’s licence as the German authorities would not have direct access to the CAA database.

And one would need to assume that the revalidation of an SEP rating on a UK CAA-issued EASA-FCL PPL by any EASA FI/CRI should be possible without further issues as it is possible to do renewals (i.e. where a skill test with an examiner is involved) with non-UK examiners, see https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Applications/Test-notification-requirements/.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 28 Nov 13:20
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Any EASA FI or CRI can perform the one hour instructional flight. However only a UK licenced FCL945 holding instructor (if they did the flight) or a UK FE can sign the rating revalidation.

Ps – CFI is not honorary – it is an appointed post holder position with specific responsibilities and requirements within the ATO or DTO approval

Now retired from forums best wishes

Balliol wrote:

Any EASA FI or CRI can perform the one hour instructional flight. However only a UK licenced FCL945 holding instructor (if they did the flight) or a UK FE can sign the rating revalidation.

That’s what I thought, and what worked last time. I will give it a try (and report back in case of any complications).

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

I can’t simply ask a local EASA FI to endorse my license and — for legal reasons, this can only be done by an EASA FE or privileged FI who is licensed by the UK CAA.

I (currently) have a UK issued EASA PPL, living in Switzerland as well. Typically I do the refresher flight with any EASA FI/CRI without him having signed off on the licence. Then I send

• a copy of his licence and medical,
  • my original log book (where the FI/CRI has signed of the refresher flight) and
  • form SRG1119B (I believe)

to the CAA and get my new licence and the log book sent back within a couple of days.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Can I just clarify one point:

The only way to get a revalidation without doing the flight is if you have done the 6/12 hrs and have done a flight with an CRI, FI or FE within past 12 months – correct?

This is the FCL945 wording and it seems clear enough but I am not sure if this is the only reg which applies:

refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor
(FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this
refresher training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check,
skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane

This is a good summary but there is a lot of terminology there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes,AIUI. I use my IR reval as the hour required, seems to have worked for the last five years. IMC reval could also be used if timed correctly.

EGNS, Other

The FCL.945 reference is spurious. An FI or CRI shall only endorse the certificate of revalidation after giving the refresher flight training. In all other cases only a suitable examiner or the authority may make the endorsement.

There’s a fault in the wording of rule FCL.740.A, point (b)(2), whose third requirement you’ve quoted. It’s clear from the context that the word “other” should be disregarded.

London, United Kingdom

I’ve just read on the LBA page that you need 12 hours in the last 12 months to revalidate your SEP. I always assumed 12 hrs in 24 months. Having only flown 10 hrs in 23 months, of which about half was as PIC, it looks to me as if I am screwed now.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Simply do your revalidation the other way: one hour with a FE. Done.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message