Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

September trip to Greece (LGSO Syros and LGKC Kithira)

Rob2701 wrote:

then on to LGSO for fuel

If its just for the refuel then Megara LGMG is the best option and then LGIO Ioannina for exit.
Megara has 0 cost for a day visit and is open 9am till afternoon.
Syros has then handling, some 50~70 Euro (with AOPA discount) depending on pax number and has some tricky opening hours.
Their time schedule is in their NOTAMs including fuel availability days.
www.aopa.gr/Info para. 22

Last Edited by petakas at 06 Aug 19:07
LGMG Megara, Greece

Current plan is LDDU – LGIO – LGSO – LGKC – LGIO – TIVAT – MALI LOSINJ.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Hi Rob

Really interested to see how you get on! I am also planning a very similar Greek adventure in my Cessna 182 (based Denham) late Sept/early Oct. I was intending to fly to Kastellorizo but time is a bit of a factor (and the opening times of the latter a bit of a nightmare) so have changed plans to go to Kithira instead.

Intending to fly IFR as far as Dubrovnik and then VFR in Greece since the IFR slot system there seems to be challenging as well as expensive.

My plan at the moment is to route (from Portoroz) down the Dalmatian coast to Dubrovnik (for refuel), then Ioannina as a Greek port of entry (and possible refuel) – then Kithira (for a few days) – Megara – Ioannina (as port of exit) – then to Losinj en route back home to the UK. Very like you in many respects!

I don’t know if Petakas will be able to answer this question, but is it possible to route Ioannina – Kithira the long (and scenic) way round, hugging the coast past Athens and then down south past the islands of Kea, Kithnos, Serifos and Milos before cutting west to Kithira? It looks like a stunning route!

Also I’ve been having problems contacting Megara. Have faxed via efax but with no response. Does anyone on here have a contact address (preferably email)? I’m hoping to refuel there and stay a night and I believe permission is required in advance for that.

Stodge

United Kingdom

@stodge
I don’t think you’ll a problem with the route you describe. I’ve flown much of it a couple times. I can’t comment on the ease of transit of Athens airspace because I’ve never requested it, but that’s easy enough to avoid, if necessary. Why not stop on one/several of those islands for a night? Yes, it is scenic!!! (Do pay attention to open/closing times of any destination or alternate.)

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Aug 16:58
Tököl LHTL

On most Greek islands (that don’t have international holiday flights, and most of those which have have been fraport-screwed) you have to stay a night because the opening slot is way too narrow to go there and do anything; even a lunch is not possible unless you eat it at the airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi WhiskeyPapa – I think the only one of those islands with an airport is Milos and isn’t that Frapported to bits?

United Kingdom
Administrator

Is Milos Fraport? I hope not! We’ve stayed there twice (first time for a single night). Last year, for a week. It wasn’t Fraport then. Just make sure to bring chocks (or you’ll have to use boulders). They have no tie down rings and the winds are impressive. A tie down system (like the Claw) would come in handy. Although the ramp is asphalt, you should be able to park on the edge and drive nails into the rocky ground bordering the parking area.

Syros (with AVGAS) and Paros (where we’ll be for two weeks starting end of August) are 20nm east of your planned course. You might have them in sight en route to Milos.

Greece is an incomparable GA destination. It’s good that you’re going.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Aug 20:18
Tököl LHTL

Let me post that link again

https://www.aopa.gr/en/flying-in-greece

FRAPORT operated 14 airports
As of 11th April 2017 the following 14 airports operate under FRAPORT ownership.
LGPZ LGSA LGKR LGKV LGKF LGKO LGMT LGMK LGRP LGSM LGSR LGSK LGTS LGZA

All are ports of entry (obviously) and LGKR LGRP LGSM have avgas, although I am sure their avgas sales are a few % of what they used to be, given the €300-400 cost.

Milos is a sleepy place. There is no income stream to skim off and send back home

Administrator

They didn’t even bother to take handling fees from me either time (handler had gone home when I landed and didn’t ask for it when I left). It really is laid back and sleepy. Unusual volcanic formations and spectacularly weird beaches. Also, the home of Venus De Milo!

Thanks for the link Peter! I’m often too lazy to read!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Aug 20:39
Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message