Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

September trip to Greece (LGSO Syros and LGKC Kithira)

So Milos is non-Fraport. That’s great! It looks delightful.

Is it PPR and compulsory handling? Seems at a quick glance to be a Skyserv airport. Was that your experience?

United Kingdom

I did not talk to Skyserve. I have two numbers for the tower: +30.2287.028410 or +30.2287.022090. I confirmed the airport was open and got a verbal PPR over the phone. There’s really nothing for a handler to do there except hold the door open for you after a 50 meter walk from the apron.

Tököl LHTL

Just make sure to get a slot for Dubrovnik. The only time I landed there was for a weather diversion. In the summer, it is quite busy.

Tököl LHTL

Stodge wrote:

I don’t know if Petakas will be able to answer this question, but is it possible to route Ioannina – Kithira the long (and scenic) way round, hugging the coast past Athens and then down south past the islands of Kea, Kithnos, Serifos and Milos before cutting west to Kithira? It looks like a stunning route!

Also I’ve been having problems contacting Megara. Have faxed via efax but with no response. Does anyone on here have a contact address (preferably email)? I’m hoping to refuel there and stay a night and I believe permission is required in advance for that.

The only point in doing this round trip is for scenic views which are indeed very nice. Most probably when entering Athens TMA they will ask you to follow the TMA’s VFR routes & altitudes. In times when there is no heavy airline traffic they may allow you higher altitudes under VFR like 5~10.000ft but under traffic scenarios they will ask you to go the low n’ slow way with the published VFR routes. In such cases at best you may ask and get a +1000~2000 ft. from the published route.

Your options
LGIO LGKC via FPL : YNN GARTA TRL KTH – 230nm – flight over Peloponnese mountains, nice views, no altitude restrictions, no crossing of controlled airspace, some turbulence in windy days, no islands views.

LGIO LGKC via FPL : YNN GARTA IXONI KOR (VFR routes) SOREV KTH – 362nm – the scenic route via Athens TMA. I added you via MIL so you get also the stunning views of Milos.

The YNN-GARTA initial (kind of off route) portion is to avoid you climbing low above high terrain in the initial phase.

Regarding Megara, the contact details are in their NOTAM. Check it out.
If you see no reply coming soon, just call them up on the phone. A two minutes phone call always sorts things out.
Read www.aopa.gr/Info para.24 its all in there. Actually read the whole document to save you from more questions !

Last Edited by petakas at 13 Aug 08:22
LGMG Megara, Greece

Petakas ,do you think they might leave him take the 500’ heli routes allongside the Athens seashore ?

LGGG

They never object to that route for fixed wing even though it was officially established for helicopters.
Practically there you are outside (below) the TMA (1000’ base) but the approval part is for the crossing of the LGAV CTR (Class D) southern part where all the airlines fly ~3.000ft above you on the ILSs 03L/03R for LGAV there.

So yes if he wants the ultimate scenic low n’ slow route then best is to fly KOR-DAPORI-EGN- (500’ by) HELLINIKON – PATROKLOS (climb up again) – MAKROS – KEA etc.
This way he flies abeam the “Athens Riviera” and then off to the islands.

Athens TMA has a dedicated FIS service on 124.025 whereby they monitor VFR traffic inside the TMA and provide Information service.
They see aircraft on radar (they are on the same benches next to their colleagues of Athens Approach/Departure IFR ATC) but are not allowed to provide radar service.

Its a very useful service by CAA for VFR traffic in this TMA which at times gets quite heavy.

LGMG Megara, Greece

This is very helpful thanks!

Looking at airport opening times and my dates, I suspect I’ll take the direct route outbound from Ioannina to Kithira, but on the return take the low slow scenic route via islands and Athens to Megara to refuel, overnight somewhere near there, and then continue next day on to Ioannina for exit from Greece.

Ideally this return coastal route (heading north) following VFR routes would go PATROKLOS – HELLINIKON – KASTELLA – EGN, because I would have thought (though I may be wrong) that the HELLINIKON – KASTELLA portion would provide the best views of Athens (the Parthenon??). But I don’t know if a request to cross the Elefsis CTR is easily given? Otherwise I imagine it’s HELLINIKON – EGN – LGMG. Have I got that right?

Thanks Petakas for the Notam reference for Megara, by the way. Have now emailed them, so will hopefully get a response.

By the way the AOPA document is now required bedtime reading!!

United Kingdom

LGMG current notam:

>>> LGMG (MEGARA)

MEGARA TWR UHF FREQ 282.150MHZ OUT OF SERVICE. : NOTAM LG/B0856/18

MEGARA AD OPR HRS AS FOLLOWS:
CAA SERVICES AVAILABLE

A.FROM 01/6 TILL 29/8
DAILY 0600-1700
B.FROM 30/8 TILL 27/10
DAILY 0600-1530. : NOTAM LG/B0728/18

FUEL JET A1 AND AVGAS 100LL AVAILABLE FOR CIVIL AIRCRAFT DAILY
FROM 0600-1600 EXCEPT MONDAYS.
-ON 19/7/2018 REFUELLING NOT AVAILABLE. : NOTAM LG/B0725/18

>>> END-OF-BULLETIN <<<

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stodge wrote:

Have now emailed them, so will hopefully get a response.

Don’t bet on it …
Their IT support is dreadful.
Its not a local staff issue, its a CAA one.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Re opening hours, for example, I had planned LGKC to LGIO on the Sunday but due to hours this wont work. LGKC opens 09:30 and LGIO closes 11:00 (times UTC) With a 1:20 flight time its a bit tight so a little more planning required.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)
Sign in to add your message