Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Server problem

The last few days, I have frequently experiences very sluggish response by the EuroGA forum server – sometimes no response at all, the web pages simply hang for minutes on loading.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I had the same about a fortnight ago. On Aug 14th the server would not work at all (and I couldn’t access autorouter as I was registered over euroga) so I started this thread.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Yes – DOS attacks on the server (which hosts a number of websites). An increasing problem these says. Millions of PCs are infected and remotely controlled and you buy time on the botnet; pay by Paypal

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A side effect of www.euroga.org being down is that the Autorouter is not accessible as well…
That might affect your operational flying ;-)

lenthamen wrote:

A side effect of www.euroga.org being down is that the Autorouter is not accessible as well…
That might affect your operational flying ;-)

Check this thread: http://www.euroga.org/forums/website/4571-converting-autorouter-account-from-euroga-to-autorouter. You can convert your autorouter account so that you can access autorouter even when euroga is down.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The internet can always be down… and that will definitely affect your operational flying

The router may not generate a route. Rare but possible. So you need a Plan B anyway. I use the FlightPlanPro tool (which also sometimes doesn’t work). And for filing the FP I use EuroFPL, with AFPEX as a backup. But without internet, there is no way to fly anywhere IFR. Bigger airports may accept a handwritten FP form but the route has to be valid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The autorouter session cookies are valid for one week. Therefore the likelihood of EuroGA being down and your session having just expired is very slim.

Let’s hope autorouter never becomes a target of DoS attacks. It does create a lot of workload at the hosting company and if a certain site tends to be a prime victim, hosters often cancel the hosting agreement just to save themselves the hassle. In our system design, we explicitly chose to run the frontend tier (web server) with a large and competent hosting company, as a virtual machine allowing fast recovery and only operate the redundant backend on machines we administer ourselves and which are not accessible to the outside world.

Last Edited by achimha at 26 Aug 08:39

With regard to the original question, yes, it was a DDOS attack. I won’t go in to details here, but if any long-term users need to know more they can get in touch.

DDOS is a bummer and mitigating it properly is very expensive.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But without internet, there is no way to fly anywhere IFR. Bigger airports may accept a handwritten FP form but the route has to be valid.

Actually, I have a counterexample. When no one at Leverkusen EDKL happened to know the password to the local WiFi, I called the ATC on the phone (I think it was Frankfurt) and asked if they could provisionally accept a VOR-to-VOR IFR route I quoted off the top of my head (EDKL DCT WYP IFR DCT FUL DCT OKG DCT RAK VFR DCT LKBU) if I promise to accept any rerouting. The nice lady on the phone said she would try to get it into the system; on top of that, she accepted an EOBT of mere +15 minutes. As I was already warming up the engine, she called me back and said everything was fine. No rerouting was given – in fact, they even let me skip OKG.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

People who can quote

EDKL DCT WYP IFR DCT FUL DCT OKG DCT RAK VFR DCT LKBU

from the top of their head should not meddle with mere mortals. SO frustrating…. ;)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message