Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shall I move my F-reg SR22 to N-reg?

posts moved from here

hello all

im french i’ve just get my IFR FAA 2 months ago, but i have a problem my aircraft ( SR22 ) is F-reg

so i need to have 50hrs in command to do the CB-IR

For these reasons and also about FAA maintenance rules , i thinking to move my aircraft in november

—> i can do IFR with my aircraft until avril 2017 ( maybe more ? )
—> maintenance is less expensive

what is your opinion ?

This is worth a quick read.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

how many week to move to N-reg ? i suppose the aircraft should stay on the ground

thx for link peter

My opinion for what it’s worth Starbuck3 having an FAA IR and having owned an N reg aircraft and a firm proponent of N reg, is that in 2016 I would NOT consider moving from F to N… Clearly you are trying to avoid the ridiculous EASA exams and possibly also trying to avoid using an ATO, but this can also be achieved by getting your 50hrs PIC under the IFR by renting an N reg aircraft and just flying…it’s amazing how fast you can rack up 50 hrs….probably cheaper to do this in the USA if you have time but remember at least 10 hrs needs to be in EASA land…and the cost and hassle of reg change is not insignificant….plus there is always the risk (possibly very low, but who knows) of EASA / EU acting further against resident N reg aircraft…. EASA seem to be heading in the right direction with regards to maintenance as well…

Also to answer one of your questions, I doubt maintenance for an SR22 will cost any different whether you are on N or F register….it may even be cheaper on the F reg!….the maintenance schedules should be the same and being an advanced complex airplane will mean you will likely use a full-facility maintenance shop….

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 19 Jun 11:37
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

@starbuck3, if you own an SR22, I’m going to make an assumption that safety is more important to you than cost. So I would say just do it.

Moving from EASA to November you will escape from a dysfunctional multinational cleptocracy whose member states are forever squabbling like starving rats in a sack. You will join the world’s largest and safest general aviation community under the care of an administration whose concern is your safety, not their own revenue and pensions.

You probably won’t save money, but you’ll fly more, with up to date aircraft equipment and software, and your money will be invested in airworthiness and skill, not squandered on bureaucracy.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Difficult to say something useful on a complex topic with individual angles, but you don’t want to be N-reg unless you are a pro-active person when it comes to maintenance.

For me, who organises everything myself, and has to work in the face of difficult airport politics (have to do maintenance away from base) N is great, but for someone who just drops the SR22 to his dealer with a signed blank cheque left on the seat (a caricature but you get the idea I am sure ) there is generally little benefit, especially with a new model.

For flying, you need to maintain not just FAA papers and medical but from (currently – highly likely to be postponed further) April 2017 will also need EASA papers and medical.

If however you now have standalone FAA PPL and FAA IR, you are in the same position as many other N-reg owners in Europe, looking at what might (or might not) happen.

That writeup I did is just a frank and hopefully informative listing of how to do the transfer to N without getting yourself bent over a barrel and shafted, with a plane which has been de-registered from F and cannot go on N because of some issue. But you can still do the transfer. Just make sure you do it right.

I do not believe EASA is going to move against N-reg aircraft in the foreseeable future. And if they did, you just go back to F, which should be OK because you were previously on F and the DGAC will still have the old paperwork. Just avoid putting in stuff which has no possible EASA approval which, these days when Garmin own the Universe, is not difficult.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If however you now have standalone FAA PPL and FAA IR, you are in the same position as many other N-reg owners in Europe, looking at what might (or might not) happen

I really cannot see how this would make any difference. In any case you will need appropriate EASA licenses and ratings to exercise the privileges of your FAA certificate should the requirement that EU residents must have EASA papers ever go into force.

LFPT, LFPN

Yes, but this guy already has the FAA papers. So he has already climbed that mountain. He is not facing e.g. this issue which is going to put a massive damper on new N-reg people.

Administrator

He does not say he has a full FAA license… He could very well have added an IR to a 61.75.

LFPT, LFPN

starbuck3 wrote:

how many week to move to N-reg ? i suppose the aircraft should stay on the ground

thx for link peter

Where are you based ?

I have managed dozens of F reg to FAA reg in France and am an FAA A&P/IA

Envoie moi un PM et je te donne mon numéro de portable .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message