Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shop to test heater N reg

My heater has been sent to IAE at cranfield for its 2 yr decay test and they sent it back saying they no longer do this work, any one recommend a shop in the uk for a N reg.
Thanks
Rob

You are not heaving your heater removed from the airframe for the heater test is it?

If it is, I would find it quite shocking as it can be done on aircraft on at least on all heaters I know off / have done.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Which aircraft, what heater? Is it a Janitrol?

Last Edited by Ben at 25 May 18:51

Thanks, got it sorted.

Who did you get to do it @Rob? One day this might help someone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jesse wrote:

You are not heaving your heater removed from the airframe for the heater test is it?

If it is, I would find it quite shocking as it can be done on aircraft on at least on all heaters I know off / have done.

I perform the decay tests on FAA reg’d.

It’s not always easy or practical to do whilst still in the plane so sometimes pulling it and testing on the bench is best.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

I perform the decay tests on FAA reg’d.

It’s not always easy or practical to do whilst still in the plane so sometimes pulling it and testing on the bench is best.

Do you care to explain?

We also perform these kind of testing, and never had any issues to do them on the aircraft. Often about 2 hours work for the pressure decay test, including testing of the air pressure switch and drains. Will be much more removing and reinstalling the equipment. Might depend on the used test equipment as well.

So fare we have only took it out for overhaul or replacement. For overhaul the unit has to be completely dissassembled to get access to the combustion chamber, so this for sure requires removal from the aircraft.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I’ve found that the bigger units used in pressurized twins is not easy to get plugged up properly and since it can be pulled in less than 30 minutes, prefer the latter. That said , you probably have all the special kit for all the different models/configs then you might be fine doing it in-situ.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter.
Nicholas McLaren are doing it.

Any updates on Pressure Decay Tests for EASA aircraft? Mine is due in October and I’d rather not have the aircraft grounded for a month while it goes to the US.

I should add that Nicholas McLaren no longer do these tests

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message