Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Flanders / Kortrijk EBKT, November 2019

This was just a quick meet-up in the (very posh, set up for the bizjet community) airport restaurant, so no pics of the city.

The morning looked rather hazy back home

but the airport was clear by the time I got there

FR24 track

It was interesting that I filed for FL060/FL070
N0147F060 SFD DCT LZD/N0149F070 DCT KONAN L607 KOK/N0147F060 L607 MAK

but London Control gave me a clearance for FL110 for the cruise, which was nice, especially given the buildups whose tops were just below that. They never asked me, but I didn’t complain OTOH they may have done this because normally they would toss out a FP filed for FL060 (the UK ATC software reportedly doesn’t show any levels other than the first one on the filed route) so they raised the level to enable the FP to be accepted. I originally wanted a low level so I can fly at a high power to bed in the newly repaired cylinder but FL110 is also OK; 150F ROP and burning a load of avgas (~14GPH for 160kt TAS is high for a TB20)

Some dodgy wx to the right of the track indeed

but there were gaps in it; I asked for a 30 left at one point

Further into Belgium it cleared up but left some low cloud

EBKT is OCAS and no ATC (only AFIS) so Brussels does the approach control, similarly to France or the US. I got assigned the holding pattern until the one before landed. Interestingly the latest KLN94 database update is showing holds; amazing for a box which went out of manufacture c. 2011 and with Bendix/King being a practically disintegrated company now. Base of CAS there is FL060

RNP 24 approach

Parked next to a Citation

I had filed the Belgian Gendec online the day before. This is a weird system; poorly designed by someone who had just come off a PHP course.

The police were the most intelligent and polite police I have ever seen anywhere – especially at an airport! Really helpful. They also apologised for the design of that website…

There is an excellent restaurant right above where you walk in – so long as you can eat some meat

The airport has a large amount of commercial property which subsidises it helpfully

You don’t pay anyone at the airport. You enter your details on the PC here and they send you the invoice. I don’t know what the landing fee is but from the amount of light GA it won’t be anything silly. Of course I made sure a stack of EuroGA leaflets was left

A very posh lounge downstairs too

Upstairs here is the restaurant

Departure (MAK1A) was straight into some low cloud

but it was thin

Rather than flying MAK1A all the way to MAK, Brussels soon gave me a DCT KOK and a climb to FL100. Again I didn’t ask for that level (N0147F060 MAK1A MAK DCT MIRZO DCT TOSCO DCT KONAN DCT LZD DCT SFD) but wasn’t complaining! I wonder what happened…

Some spectacular pics of the winter cloudscape

Near the UK coast now

The port of Dover, around FL100

I think this is Newhaven. London Control are always professional and today were really nice, giving me traffic near Lydd (even though it was some 5000ft below me)

Then I got the usual descent to below CAS which was flown at a constant VS to reach GODOT at 2200ft

Shoreham has its approaches back and they were in the Jepp KLN94 database which I had updated that morning; this is the RNAV02 IAP (wind was helpfully 350/09) and again the hold is shown which is new for the KLN94. Shoreham was tower only so if flying the IAP one just reports on a long final (6 miles on this occassion)

Sunset appropriately showing the windsock

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Those sunset-pictures are amazing !

EBST, Belgium

Thanks

They aren’t messed around with, either. The colours are all real.

It is S7 phone / G7X camera (RAW) → Lightroom, and I sometimes reduce highlights a bit.

Administrator

Did you use newly published RNAV approach to EGKA?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes.

Administrator

Controlled airspace is at 3500 overhead MAK (BrusselsTMA) and at 4500 general.

EBKT

Many thanks for this nice report. I like these beautiful clouds from above. The holdings shown on the KLN94/KMD550 are really good news. My last update is from October, I haven`t noticed yet.

Berlin, Germany

What a lovely report.
So enjoyable to read – I was with you!
Thanks.
David

Biggin Hill EGKB, United Kingdom

Thanks

Controlled airspace is at 3500 overhead MAK (BrusselsTMA) and at 4500 general.

I asked and they said FL060. I didn’t have a current Belgian VFR chart; only the 2013 Jepp VFR ones for emergency use, on the tablet. And of course the VFR approach charts for EBKT.

Administrator

If you are in contact with Brussels Information on 126.90 , they will keep you advised about controlled airspace, they will even clear you into the controlled airspace if you request (they co-ordinate with Brussels Approach or Departure).
The base of the airway KOK to MAK may be FL55 but is trumped by the general class C covering the entire country.

There is another highy recommended restaurant opposite the RWY06, about 20 min walking in westerly direction along the main road. During weekdays they have an excellent lunch at 24€ (starters and main course), They are now closed on Sundays. The place is called ‘Het Verloren Schaap’ (The Lost Sheep).

EBKT
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message