Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham GPS minima

Yes, although it is the 20 (the prevailing wind direction) which needs the LPV most.

On 02, the minima is a lot better. And a lot of people go down to 300ft on it AIUI, the current minima on it are driven by the hill on the missed approach, coupled with some aircraft performance assumption.

A funny observation relative to 02 is that IME the most common wx in which 02 is the right runway but cannot be used is solid fog Most of my diversions to Biggin Hill are exactly that… 02 plus fog.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is a hold-up somewhere; last I heard (a long time ago) it was somebody inside the CAA saying the slightly steeper glideslope has never been tested anywhere in the world with LPV, only with ILS.

Which of course would only apply on 20.

The LPV has been coming along for at least 2 years. There is a hold-up somewhere; last I heard (a long time ago) it was somebody inside the CAA saying the slightly steeper glideslope has never been tested anywhere in the world with LPV, only with ILS.

The normal GPS approaches have been there for many years – one of the first airports in the UK to get GPS approaches.

Even with no LPV you can fly the LNAV+V approach, coupled, if you have a “W” GPS. That is way better than the NDB approaches.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is good news.

Hopefully without an NDB in the Missed Approach, which has happened elsewhere.

I’d love to get rid of the ADF.

EGLK, United Kingdom

LPV approach coming soon … Just waiting approval.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Easier to fly, more accurate. Slightly lower minima. Possibility to add LPV in future….

EGTK Oxford

Looking at the instrument approaches for Shoreham I see that they now have GNSS approaches onto both runway 20 and 02.

Runway 20

RNAV GNSS (OCH) = 793

NDB/DME (OCH) = 893

Runway 02

RNAV GNSS (OCH) = 473

NDB/DME (OCH) = 473

However comparing the minima of the GNSS approaches to the NDB approaches there isn’t much difference. So what was the point of spending a fair wodge of cash to get them approved?

Now I could understand if it brought vastly improved minima as it would make it more attractive to buisness jets but with the minimal improvements over ADF I cant see the point?

Was it done for the locally based flying schools?

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message