Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Silliest/most deliberately deceptively named airports?

I remember one slightly out of order night sitting together with fellow aviation people at a lovely mountain restaurant…

The guy from Geneva suggested to rename Zurich to “Geneva East” and Basel as “Geneva North”
The guy from Basel suggested to rename Zurich to Basel East, Bern to Basel South and he did not offer opinions of Geneva :)
I thought I´d be happy if Zurich became Zurich Airport again in the first place, as it was called “Unique” at the time.

Thankfully there was never an Unique North, West and East… otherwise it might have stuck…

I heard that Salzburg took issue with being called “Munich South” at a time :) Don´t blame them.

I heard Lousiville KY resisted a move for it´s international airport to be renamed “Col. Harland Sanders”….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There’s definitely something wrong with the compass. Augsburg is München West-by-North-by-West, and wasn’t Memmingen the same but a Bißle weiter?

Regarding the various Rommels: I am sure my children (in their 30’s) never heard of them. My grandchildren still less. The old scars are healing – and not before time.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Joe-fbs wrote:

I imagine that Erwin Rommel would not be too controversial.

You know that and I know that. But for a majority, I fear, he is just another of those „nazi generals“ who killed our boys by the thousands.

Regardaing stupid LoCo airport designations I can contribute Memmingen (EDJA) für „München Süd“.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Brussels East for EBOS
Brussels West for EBLG

“Brussels North” has been suggested by some EBAW guys & girls a long while ago – in mockery, of course.
Regarding EBOS and EBLG, may I humbly suggest you check your compass/map reading ?

Coming back to London: at one time there was even a mention of “London Manston”, if my old memory still serves. Ridiculous indeed. It all comes from the silly low-cost airlines. EBOS Ostend is indeed officially called “Ostend-Bruges Airport” in an effort to please one of them – they did come, but didn’t stay long …

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

petakas wrote:

You missed London Southend airport ;-)

Ah we have Brussels South (EBCI). Taking the size of Belgium into account and the distance between Brussels and the belgian airports vs other countries I would propose to rename the Belgian airports as follows:
Brussels Center for EBBR
Brussels East for EBOS
Brussels North for EBAW
Brussels West for EBLG
and Brussels South for EBCI > ah no, we already have this one

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Given that Rommel was forced to kill himself as a consequence of the Stauffenberg plot and that stories one hears from veterans of the desert war tell of a “clean” war in-so-much as there can be such a thing, I imagine that Erwin Rommel would not be too controversial.

strip near EGGW

petakas wrote:

For me, leaving at the border of the City / Shoreditch, Southend is almost better named than Gatwick!

Southend (EGMC) is actually pretty good for London now since it became an EasyJet base.

A new train station was built about 1 minutes walk from the terminal and there are regular trains (3 an hour off peak, 6 an hour peak) to Liverpool Street in the City in just under an hour. About the same on the underground to Heathrow!

I live on the same train line and it’s about 20 minutes – very convenient!

Haven’t landed there recently, but controllers are great and I hear the airport is very welcoming.

Last Edited by NickP at 08 Dec 11:52
Stapleford, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

My vote goes for:

London Ashford. Nowhere near London and an hour on a very slow bus to Ashford, or probably an at least £50 taxi fare to Ashford. Over two hours by public transport to get to central London. I heard they justified calling it a “London” airport because it doesn’t take long to get to London from Ashford (which is also nowhere near London).

LGMG Megara, Greece

In that case Oslo (Torp) and Paris (Beauvais) must be good candidates too!

LFPT, LFPN
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message