Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Silver Eagle vs. SR22

I would like to know what the REAL depreciation is on these Cirrus SR22’s.

Part of the apparent depreciation is the ever increasing price of new ones. How much would the 2004 G2 have cost new, that you can now buy for €200K? And are they still going down?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

This is not really my cup of tea, but surely the demanded “high rate of dispatch” requires IFR ability, so what’s the relevance of grass runways? There’s precious few ILS equipped grass runways around, perhaps even none at all.
As I learned on these pages, a really high rate of dispatch would also require FIKI equipment/certification?

Last Edited by at 13 Feb 18:28
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Achimha says that you cannot take a Jetprop into 700m grass….
I regularly take one into EHMZ 795m and EHTX 1115m, in the latter case using less than half the runway and
no need for reverse pitch to do it.

Depreciation is a funny thing.

Going back to 2002, when I bought the new TB20 for 200k+VAT, Socata were increasing their list price fast. A year later it was 220k and a year later it was 240k. Actually there was no production after 2002 but they didn’t tell anybody…

This kept the used values up. I was offered 200k+VAT for mine, 2 years after purchase.

But Socata didn’t bring out any new features, like Cirrus keep doing constantly. Cirrus’s policy (necessary to keep selling new planes) undermines used values pretty fast.

Used values also depend on how much is floating around in the market. For example in the few years before the Mooney collapse, the used values of 2-4 year old well specced models were holding up very well. I know somebody who sold his at ~4yrs for what he paid for it. But Cirrus pump out so many planes that this doesn’t happen.

They can do it largely because there is a lot of “froth” in their market – people who want the latest and newest gear and want it smelling absolutely brand new, and they will do it all over again a couple of years later. The traditional GA community is not expanding.

You don’t need deice for IFR, which is why the SR22, TB20, etc, are good planes. What you do need deice for is to push the despatch rate into the 90%+ range, though I would argue you also then need turbocharging (FL240 ceiling, to get above most warm fronts) and because oxygen gets kind of “interesting” at FL240 you also want pressurisation, and since that despatch rate will put you in IMC for long periods quite often, you also want radar.

Logically therefore you are looking at a PA46, which immediately leads to the Jetprop as the fully logical conclusion

Last Edited by Peter at 13 Feb 18:05
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter,
Can you explain what you mean about oxygen getting interesting at FL240
Thanks.

Hi Neil.

here’s what you want:

My SR22-G2 GTS, fully equipped with all factory options incl. oxygen and air condition cost around € 560.000 in 2006, including German VAT of 19% and the ferry flight, which was probably around €12.000. I did not see the invoice for he aircraft but that’s what I figured out with the 2006 price lists-.
I bought it for € 215.000 incl. a new annual/1000 h inspection, some repairs (€5000) and an overhaul of the glass cockpit including the DFC90 autopilot.
It had 890 h TT.

Achimha says that you cannot take a Jetprop into 700m grass….
I regularly take one into EHMZ 795m and EHTX 1115m

I think most pilots would not dare to put this airplane on grass runways. It’s very expensive, the gear is not designed for it and the prop clearance is very small. The C210 is about the only RG airplane that is widely used in heavy duty dirt/grass strip operations.

Heck, I know one TB20 pilot that wouldn’t land on grass even when it has an ILS

Achimha, with the composite prop (as opposed to aluminium prop) on the Jetprop there is plenty of prop/ground clearance and the gear on the PA46 is approved for operations on grass unlike the Meridian which cannot be operated on grass without mods.

The Meridian/Jetprop might be “approved” for it, but with the pretty high approach speed and the delicate gear – i know I wouldn’t do it. With the SR22 it works pretty well, if you know what you are doing, but you have to protect the nose gear as good as possible.

I don’t think an ILS can be approved without approach and runway lights. The lighting is one of the considerations on the DH. So there cannot be any grass airfields with ILS, can there?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message