Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Silver Eagle vs. SR22

Remember the other issue with a turbine on any unimproved strip is FOD. Particularly if you use beta.

EGTK Oxford

Willie Carson (jockey) had a Turbine Bonanza, he said to me one day at Newmarket that this was the ideal plane
for grass runways, performance was awesome and it cost less to fly and maintain than a Saratoga.

That MU2 is really nice.
I think the best thing for me is to realize that it will always be a mix of hobby and business travel – like it is today. Today is some VFR trips – rest on commercial airlines.
Trying to replace all travel with flying will have a serious bill and will be similar to people with private jets and hired pilots.
Getting an IFR rating and an IFR touring plane like a reasonable priced Cirrus G3 or a nice 182 (for the short field performance) and then save some money to spend on late purchase commercial tickets when sometimes a trip is not possible – will increase the amount of DIY trips but will probably also ensure that it remains a fun hobby.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

MU2’s may be fine when flown by highly competent highly trained and extremely current pilots, but they have had a poor safety reputation. I have not flown one either, but the story I heard from those who have were that it requires VERY careful handling when flown asymmetric. The FAA were concerned.
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAAAdoptsMU2BStandards_197036-1.html

The King Air which I have flown, is typical Beech, solid and dependable but not fast. The Citation is much nicer, engine failures at V1 are easy to deal with, and are quieter, faster, and safer than any turboprop. You can get a `Citation 1 for $600,000 if you can keep up with the maintenance.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Getting an IFR rating and an IFR touring plane like a reasonable priced Cirrus G3 or a nice 182 (for the short field performance) and then save some money to spend on late purchase commercial tickets when sometimes a trip is not possible – will increase the amount of DIY trips but will probably also ensure that it remains a fun hobby.

Take that further and you end up with a Pitts in a hangar where the sun shines almost continuously, and a stack of airline tickets for the coming year. The problem is that time in one week blocks is actually life’s most valuable commodity.

Hey Adam,
yes, that’s a cool machine, but only for very experienced pilots. ESPECIALLY the MU-2 with its high wing loading can be a real handful. And, right, for Europe they are simply too noisy.

Trying to replace all travel with flying will have a serious bill and will be similar to people with private jets and hired pilots.

Not true. I have essentially replaced all commercial travel except long haul. The cost is nothing like owning a jet and hiring pilot(s). You will pay more than flying commercially if you fly solo however there is a major convenience factor.

EGTK Oxford

I regularly take my Jetprop into a 650m grass strip. It is a very well maintained strip, and I limit myself to two people with half tanks for landing which is tight,
but very doable.

The landing gear and prop clearance are more than adequate. FOD and wet conditions are your biggest enemy in a field like this.

The take off is a non issue, rotating at 300m with the same weight configuration.
The first time in there was certainly buttock clenching, but since then a lot if fun, and satisfying to do. A great testiment to the versatility of the Jetprop. :-)

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Yes well maintained is the key. Flying to your typical UK strip in one of these is akin to burning money.

EGTK Oxford

Agreed. And you really do have to be on your game and plant it on the numbers each time. Once you commit you are arriving one way or another. :-)
How is Goodwood rated?
E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD
Sign in to add your message