Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

Two details that would be nice to see improved:

-) in the various overviews, threads have a "Read New" option; this however leads me to the beginning of the thread, whereas I would expect to arrive at the thread's last page, where the new posting is;

-) in various places, some text is in a colour the faintest of cyan, which is hard to discern on my setup. One example is in the "Subject" column of the "Most Recent Posts"; a less faint colour would be better readable.

Both points are of course only aesthetical, and should only be looked into when nothing more pressing requires your attention. With some vermin of hackers about, threatening to inject their sql code in your database, I am sure your priorities should be there! };-)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hi Jan. Thanks for the comments.

in the various overviews, threads have a "Read New" option; this however leads me to the beginning of the thread , whereas I would expect to arrive at the thread's last page, where the new posting is;

Actually what it should be doing is taking you to the first post you personally haven't yet seen. That might not be on the last page - if you've 10 posts per page and you've not seen say 11 of the most recent posts you'll be taken to the penultimate page. If it's taking you to the first page that should be because you've not seen any of the posts on that thread. Let me know if it's not doing that.

in various places, some text is in a colour the faintest of cyan

That colour is generally used in the less important places where something subtle is appropriate, for example the background colour for buttons. I think the solution is to change the places it's on more important text to use something darker, whilst retaining that colour for the less important stuff. So I'll change it on those headings you mention. Let me know anywhere else it's used and you can't see it.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Thanks, Peter. What confused me was that the Preview merely shows the > but not the formated final article.

Yes, the Preview feature doesn't fully render all the stuff (formatting or images) which you can potentially include in your post.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Regular users will notice that we’ve updated the look of EuroGA. As well as the visible changes there are various new features and quite a lot of behind-the-scenes software changes too.

First off, many thanks to Peter for doing extensive testing. By this I clearly mean, if you find any problems, they’re his fault. Ah if wishing made it so. The fault will be mine, at least until I find the developer responsible. But seriously folks, please do provided feedback if you spot anything that’s not quite right.

The new look is designed to be easier to read, not just on desktop/laptop computers, but on mobile devices. The page should render nicely on any modern mobile device meaning that you shouldn’t need to zoom in and out or scroll horizontally to use it.

The editor which you use to make and edit posts has been improved. The biggest difference that you may notice if you’re used to the old one is that the new one doesn’t remove your line breaks. When typing try using the little “shutter” icon on the toolbar, the rightmost one, to see a live preview of how your post will look. Note that on mobile we just use a simple editor – you can use all the same editing features but you type them rather than using the toolbar.

More in a moment…

Last Edited by David at 07 Nov 10:30
Administrator

Some of the new features:

• Open links within a forum post in a new window/tab, if you want to. To choose, go to your preferences
  • User-to-user messaging. This allows you to send an email to someone, without revealing your own email address. They can reply to your message and likewise their address won’t be revealed to you. You can correspond this way forever, or of course, you can reveal your personal contact details if you choose to. Note this isn’t the usual “on site private messaging”, which most regular forum users seem to dislike.
  • A re-designed home page which is much faster to load on mobile devices, which shows you the most recent activity.
  • An improved Recent Posts list. Clicking a post on the list now takes you to that specific post, rather than just to the thread on which it appears.
Administrator

Cool! Looks good and – drum roll, cheers, standing ovation – the links open ina new tab! Yeeeehhhhaaaaa!

;-)

Keep up the good work, guys.

PS: I’m sure we’ll find something else to moan about :-)))

Just a few days ago I thought about how good and positively “new” EuroGA looks and handles compared to some other pilot sites – and now it is all new again.

Congratulations and thank you!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

PS: I’m sure we’ll find something else to moan about :-)))

Ha! already have: where has the ‘most recent threads’ function gone? I find this much easier to follow than ‘most recent posts’. Siimple reason – the most recent posts may all be to a thread I’m not interested in and the ones I do want to follow drop off the page. Is there a way to control this?

172, that’s interesting – I’d had several complaints about the way Most Recent used to work, hence the change. If you really want to follow a thread you can use the Watch Thread button (as long as you’re logged in) and then see a list of just those threads by using the Watched Threads button. However, it’s fair enough that you want a Most Recent Threads button as well. We’ll knock something up.

It’s funny, we’ve been trying this new editor for weeks and was generally pretty happy with it, but now I realise that the line spacing is wrong. Shall fix that first!

Administrator

172, try the new “Most Recent Threads” button at the top…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message