Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

To clarify, do you mean this text?

There is probably a way to edit it (e.g. make it bold) but I can’t find it The site was developed using a CMS and obviously I have the access but don’t want to break anything.

I may not be representative of the average, but it’s still a data point. Maybe youngsters (I think I can still say that I am one) don’t tend to engage with stuff that has not been presented to them in an obvious way.

This is an old but always valid discussion. There is a huge tendency to make websites attractive to dumb people, compounded by a huge fashion for the latest code/style libraries (called “frameworks”). A lot of it depends on the desired audience; on EuroGA we must attract and support intelligent people and they tend to appreciate a more rich UI. I’d say most online communities are designed for clicks and inevitably must attract the whole spectrum because you want advert clicks; the content is barely relevant. FB is the worst example I know, with a useless “group” structure which supports quick and banal one-liners.

I agree the website needs a tidy-up but the only person who can do it fairly quickly is David, the original designer. He’s still “out there” and I can ask him but we need concrete items to do.

As I said the mobile version is probably done with a hack in the Bootstrap style sheet, and the Q is whether anybody here will be interested in putting in a bit of their time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I hadn’t noticed it in about a year. I may not be representative of the average, but it’s still a data point. Maybe youngsters (I think I can still say that I am one) don’t tend to engage with stuff that has not been presented to them in an obvious way.

And the simple fact that (alledgedly) most visitors use it despite no particular highlighting or CTA (it’s practically plain text just above very eye-catching promoted posts, and no option in the menu) is a design problem IMO. Design matters a lot, and this very important thing is presented as a feature (like using bookmarks, etc.), as opposed to a place, like categories.

Also I don’t think adding an “All post” link to the main menu would break anything.

Anyway, that’s just my 2 cents !

Obviously I’ll be using this a lot more now.

Last Edited by maxbc at 19 Apr 10:28
France

Any difference between the desktop and the mobile version is probably just the style sheet. Bootstrap.

Lots of people here know exactly how to do this.

I don’t have data on what % of “real pilots” use Active threads but for the totality of the 100s of k of daily visits it is probably 90% plus. So yes it needs to work.

Administrator

Dan wrote:

I always (and way too frequently…) come on EuroGA thru the Active Threads prompt.

So do I!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

I have Active Threads up immediately

Same here, phone, pad, main station, I always (and way too frequently…) come on EuroGA thru the Active Threads prompt.
Sure don’t wanna miss on writing some garbage I’ll regret later 🙈

PS
Good thing to re-read one’s own post during the reprieve imparted 😇

Last Edited by Dan at 19 Apr 08:19
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I know everyone likes to change things In an effort to make things better especially in IT but please don’t change things too much.
All improvements often make things more difficult for us old fossils as they always happen just as we have got used to something.
On my Smartphone I have Active Threads up immediately I go into the browser.
They normally newest at the top and have the word " New" after the thread title, so I know whether or not I am up to date on that thread. I only don’t get the word “new” when I am not signed in.
I once tried the Flyer forum which does not have any of these attributes and after a couple of visits never went back.:)

France

As the desktop version has it, it should be just a style sheet change.

Someone should be able to work it out externally.

Administrator

I think adding a link pointing to the Active Threads page in the main menu (maybe titled « All threads ») along with other categories, would go a long way. It certainly does not seem costly to me.

Last Edited by maxbc at 19 Apr 07:29
France

You can bookmark threads too.

Re promoted threads, yes they get way better participation but this is possible only if the 1st post is not too big. See here

https://www.euroga.org/forums/website/11415-requirements-for-posts-promoted-to-home-page-banners

However most people keep forgetting, no matter how often I post the above

There are no simple solutions. In other words, it would cost too much

Administrator

So I did miss it… Thanks !

As a dopamine-drugged millenial, I only click on flashy things ^^ (and this page could definitely use some highlighting, perhaps a link in the categories menu) and I definitely think the engagement difference between promoted and non-promoted threads is primarily due to the Active Threads page not being put forward enough.

Latest Posts doesn’t exist in the mobile version (only “active threads”). “Latest posts” is not very practical because threads are not merged (so you get the same thread 10 times), but posts take a lot less space on a mobile screen so the presentation IMO is better, while on “Active threads” or categories each thread takes a lot of space (it definitely does the job).

Last Edited by maxbc at 19 Apr 05:42
France
154 Posts
Sign in to add your message