Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

Looks fine for a DIY letdown into the canyon

I got this pic from a friend on 19th December, from Kaprun and looking towards the fog-filled valley where LOWZ lies

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BTW, who says you need snow for skiing ?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Peter Ive been wrestling with the idea of using the plane to go skiing in Austria. But unless you can go on the spur of the moment, as in deciding the night before, chances are too great the wx will not cooperate. What I have noticed and Ive only been here three years is that there are vast areas of clouds over the continent for weeks at a time. Last year I went skiing with a local and they said that inmost times you are skiing in the clear after the chair lifts you up through the low stratus. Which is what happened. If the stratus is going to break up it will be after noon.

Another thing I noticed is that Linz and EDMV and somewhat EDMS have similar weather because of the valley and the Danube. There is a reason Linz has Cat 2 ILS.
If you want all weather ops and can fly LIFR LOWL is ok. A less challenging airport would be EDMA since their wx is usually better than LOWL. I guess both would take you 3 hrs by car without traffic. Then if the wx is good for the dates you have fixed you can always land at LOWZ.

I would like to have anyone with local knowledge correct my reasoning.

KHTO, LHTL

blueline wrote:

IME: No fog in the morning = no fog all day

I don’t think it’s that simple, I’ve fairly often had it that just after sunrise it was clear, but an hour or so after it was completely socked in… so fog can form after sunrise…

LSZK, Switzerland

What happens if you plan to be out of LOWS on Friday but for some reason you can’t fly out. Is there a fine and how much is it?

Administrator

Nothing about “fines” or other similar fees is published. Honestly, I think you are about the only person making up their mind about such “what ifs” all the time.

I guess they will deal with such rare cases and find a solution and that’s it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Rather than debating stuff for which I then get attacked for debating, I phoned up Salsburg on the +43 662 8580 454 PPR number posted earlier in the screenshot.

There is no “cost” for overstaying through Saturday. For a small plane they normally find somewhere to put it. If having got there you are approaching Saturday and it looks like you won’t be flying out, they want you to call the above mentioned number.

The hangars are normally full but if not, hangarage is possible, and more possible for a few hours prior to departure. Their airport’s de-icing service is of the order of €100-300 for a small plane. So bringing your own de-ice kit is desirable.

The costs for a landing and parking are very reasonable in the context, so Salsburg appears good both as an alternate to LOWZ and – during the week – as the main destination too. There is an easy train/bus to Zell am See.

I also got this reply from LOWZ:

Administrator

Out of interest, why did you consider LOKL (Lienz) as an alternate? It’s on the other side of the main alpine ridge, and getting from there to Zell am See is an absolute nightmare in winter with the most direct way (“Großglockner Hochalpenstraße”) being closed in winter time.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

LOKL – must have been someone up the thread…

I just got this useful info from a skier near Zell:

I think this trip is a GO. Well, I will be going anyway, as soon as I am flying again.

How many would be interested?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

How many would be interested?

Peter, this may be somewhere in the thread, but what time frame is your question relating to?

I’m planning on doing this sometime during this season. For me it will be a weekend trip to Zell am See (inbound Saturday morning, outbound Sunday afternoon with a “home office” buffer day or two on Monday/Tuesday). I might do this anytime I see fit on a last minute basis (i.e. good WX), but preferably later during the season when the days are longer and/or when I have finished my night rating.

If I do this, I’ll post on here.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message