Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

Last week in January, or anytime in February. Or maybe even March if there is still snow.

The key thing about Zell am See / Kaprun is that it is on the glacier. Off-glacier, forget it until some unknown future date, unless you are a good skier and then you can go to the higher slopes almost anywhere, 7000ft plus. There is zero snow right now on any “beginner” slope I have heard of.

I would go for 3 nights, possibly over a weekend if there are others coming only over a weekend. Otherwise I will go at some other time. And an over-weekend trip looks like making Salzburg LOWS a bit tricky due to the Saturday restriction…

Aero Friedrichshafen will be another meet-up opportunity (I will start a separate thread for that) but it will be too warm by then, surely…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This could be fun. I’m an intermediate skier but a beginner at snowboarding and this season I’m looking at improving the latter (I have “logged” 5 hours on the board so far).

In theory, I could do 2-3 weekdays, too – the problem is that those I need to plan in advance due to work reasons and can’t make it last minute unless I potentially “waste” vacation days – I need to let my clients know a few weeks in advance when I can be there. If it’s an extended weekend with a Friday attached, that’ easier: I can plan several home office Fridays in a row and pick the best one for a trip on a last-minute basis.

So weekend is better for me.

I’m not sure I understand your timing/glacier/beginner reasoning correctly. The way I see it, this winter has been a disaster so far for skiing resorts. On the other hand, Zell am See offers glacier skiing with a good chance of extending the season well into late spring. Based on that, I would rather see that trip happening around March.

I don’t think I will be make it to Friedrichshafen.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Matters are improving

Administrator

I’m going to Oberteuren on 15 March only been skiing once before, Megeve France… 40 years ago!

EGHO Thruxton

You are flying GA, Ian?

Administrator

Snow condition Zell/See Schmittenhoehe yesterday afternoon

always learning
LO__, Austria

I am now likely to be flying to Zell am See sometime on or after 27th Feb.

Administrator

Peter, coincidentally, I’m planning the exact same thing with some friends now. I’m taking the entire week off and will fly based on WX (of course). If the whole week seems unflyable (VFR), we’ll drive.

There is a low chance this is all moved to the week of March 21, but I’d prefer the earlier week for a better chance of good snow.

Let’s keep in touch.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

There has been a lot of snowfall lately but it is again reducing.

I am going to a place called Winterberg in Germany on 19th Feb (flying to Dortmund to meet up with a friend and then we will drive) and it’s uncertain whether there will be snow then – webcams here

Administrator

Winterberg is not in the Alps but in a small region called Sauerland. It’s quite close to the Netherlands. If there is snow half of the country goes there for skiing. It can be chaos, especially during the weekend.

Sign in to add your message