Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing near Airport Bolzano LIPB

Regarding LIPB I might be able to help, being also a member of the local aeroclub, and running some business in the Val Gardena area.
Shall any of you need assistance with refueling (Avgas) or others do not hesitate and drop me a message.

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

That’s very good news – thank you all!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can confirm both what @Romain and @Frans are saying. The situation in LIPB is not that “bad” :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

If you can’t park at the official apron, try to contact and ask aeroclub Bozen. They have plenty of space on their ‘apron’, which might be grass or gravel parking, but still better than nothing.

Switzerland

Good news re. the Bolzano apron – I visiti the Dolomites often and was sad not to be able to try flying in this summer because of the works And then I saw the NOTAM was still up and assumed it would never end!

We’ve just impulse-booked Zell am See for February. My skiing is not very impressive but there seems to be enough blue & red fodder for me…

EGSG, United Kingdom

Hello,

Regarding Bolzano (I’m flying there regularly) they just finished the construction of the new apron. NOTAM stay the same but they have now 3 times more space than before.
They don’t refuse anymore our parking request. Just send them an email and see what they answer…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

From here

Sure; Madonna etc is about 5hrs’ driving from Zagreb. But for a fly-in, I strongly suspect the Bolzano LIPB winter parking situation would decimate (wrong word, because the Roman origin means a 10% reduction ) attendance. I might email them anyway to find out though

B6972/23 NOTAMR B6693/23
Q) LIMM/QMNXX/IV/NBO/A /000/999/4628N01120E005
A) LIPB B) 2311301032 C) 2312312159 EST
E) PARKING RESTRICTIONS IN FORCE FOR ALL FLT EXCEPT FOR SKED,
MIL, HUMANITARIAN, SANITARY, STATE, EMERG FLT AND BASED ACFT
DUE TO LARGE SCALE APN WIP.
NO FURTHER GENERAL AVIATION FLT ALLOWED UNLESS
STRICTLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH PPR AND SLOT
PREVIOUSLY AUTH BY AD OPERATOR BY E-MAIL:
GENERALAVIATION(A)BOLZANOAIRPORT.IT.
REF AIP AD 2 LIPB 1-1
CREATED: 30 Nov 2023 10:33:00
SOURCE: EUECYIYN

The other angle, which I have posted often, is that if you are a very good skier, you can ski anywhere. You can do black runs, for which the Swiss Alps are renowned. You can enjoy skiing on slopes which are pretty much destroyed. It doesn’t matter if the slopes are mostly ice. I think this is often lost in the discussions. This was all done years ago, early in this thread, but French Alps tend to be “easier” (if you can stand the crowds with small kids all over the slopes because basically the whole country heads down there, and, except Courchevel with its €50 salads, the “customer service”) while the Dolomites tend to be good for beginner/intermediate and are really beautiful (Madonna in particular, but Cervinia is close).

The “problem” is that of all the skiing pilots I have known, those likely to come to our fly-ins were not expert skiers. Maybe there are 1 or 2 exceptions now, like Frans

Administrator

This is the best known website for Alpine pass status… Very useful in planning spring rides on a motorcycle

Peter wrote:

how do you find you which roads are closed due to snow?

Google maps with traffic enabled on your smartphone will show closed routes (such as San Bernadino at the moment…)

I am not sure I am anywhere near a fully adjusted Brit

However I don’t enjoy driving much anymore. Also driving in strange places is a lot easier if there are 2 of you. Another factor is: how do you find you which roads are closed due to snow?

But car rental is probably worth a try next time.

Administrator
221 Posts
Sign in to add your message