Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skywatch 497 repair ... $ 3869 plus freight

You just know how much I hate to say this, Flyer59, but on an EU-reg, used avionics need an EASA-1 form so if bought from the USA have to come from a firm which can issue either an EASA-1 form, or an 8130-3 form with the EASA approval # in Box 13.

Now, if only you were N-reg….

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will get an 8130, 90 days of warranty and AVIONIK STRAUBING said that is OK :-)
They will test it and put it in

;-))

PS: He sent me the 8130 – it even has all the EASA stuff in box 13.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 05 Feb 15:59

Alexis, make sure it is the right software-version in the 497, otherwise it will not be compatible with the avidyne/garmin.

Yes, all okay, its from Cirrus too, SW 1.8 and MOD K

thank you!

NIL: Junk the Skywatch !

With GA activity just about zero, traffic avoidance is about as useful as a , ahem, CAPS …

( I’m running and ducking the FLAMES !! lol )

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Last Edited by achimha at 05 Feb 16:45

Actually the Skywatch (like the TAS 600) is a great system. Today I flew in hazy weather and there was lots of traffic, helicopters, motorgliders, gyro copters … i saw all of the on the MFD.

CAPS: That actually happened to me in 2009. While refueling my phone rang and i stepped back from the aircraft … and then I forgot to secure one fuel cap. 30 minutes later i made a steep turn over Munich downtown for a picture and saw fuel runnimg over the wing :-) The fuel cap was still on the runway …

Last Edited by Michael at 05 Feb 16:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

i saw all of the on the MFD.

If you saw all of them, Germany must have about 100x higher Mode C carriage % than the UK

I would not like to fly in the UK without my TAS605, but statistically it is hard to defend, with just ~2 midairs a year. But that’s probably of the same order of magnitude as BRS chute pulls due to an aircraft malfunction which would have brought the aircraft down out of control.

Also TAS systems need to be installed by somebody reasonably competent and experienced with them, especially if your aircraft is slightly unusual e.g. a composite roof with a ground plane inside, for which in the UK there is really just one shop (and it is not the one I used ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

i saw all of the on the MFD

How can you be sure you saw them ALL?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message