Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skywatch 497 repair ... $ 3869 plus freight

OK, i saw all of the ones I heard on the radio, who were in the pattern, sorry.

OK, i saw all of the ones I heard on the radio, who were in the pattern, sorry.

Case closed, junk the Skywatch. lol

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter,

what do you think – should I just leave the old unit with L3 or let them send it back? Could anybody repair that processor you think? Maybe use it in a kitplane? Parts?

Sending it back from the US will cost me another € 135 though

If you can get your hands on the MM (maintenance manual) then it should be repairable – because the bits that blow up are usually readily identifiable, and cost only a few €.

In my 20GB collection I have only the operating manual which incidentally answers the Q about how it gets azimuth. It doesn’t use a single antenna! It uses several, in one housing

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, they say it’s the processor that’s bad … and I have a lot of stuff in the basement :-))

Processor… hmmm… that sounds really techno doesn’t it. They must really know what they are talking about. Did they say it needed a new silicone chip? You sure they didn’t mean this ?

Administrator

;-)
I knew you’d say that.
Do you want to repair it? All I could use it for would be as tie down OR AS A CHOCK

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 05 Feb 17:56

The $ 2000 Skywatch i just bought …

…. has a 8130-3 (EASA) that is 4 years old
… was overhauled by L3 and in storage at Cirrus for a couple of years (then all of those were bought by Nexair and stored again)
… has the latest SW and mods
… has 90 days of warranty

Peter, do you see a problem with the unit beeing stored that long? My opinion: either it works or not, right? And if it fails after 3 months any other unit could have failed too …

Electronics doesn’t really have a shelf life limit, unless it gets damp.

The main exception is electrolytic capacitors which dry out, which is why old autopilots are often unstable. The control loop is much faster than it should be…

But 4 years is fine.

One thing an anal person might watch out for is that if “you” install some box, and retain the 8130-3, then 10 years later you remove that box, you can dishonestly sell it with the original 8130-3 as “unused”. Same trick is possible with an EASA-1 of course. In most cases this opportunity doesn’t arise because the avionics installer retains the original form and mostly it just vanishes… It should end up in the work pack but very few owners request the work pack and in some cases the installer refuses to give it to you (Air Touring did that to me). The end result is that you could be buying (and paying extra for) an “unused” box but which has seen years of service.

Administrator

Well, my Cirrus will always have a Skywatch … so if it breaks again I’ll let it be repaired or buy another one … I don’t see why i should ever sell it.

Now waiting how much L3 wants as a “bench test” fee for my old unit. That might ruin the great deal a bit I fear …

Sign in to add your message