Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

smartCHECK, the Talking Checklist

Looks good – P28U next please

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Generally can we help by providing checklists in some specific format? I can contribute with a PA34 (Piper Seneca) and a DA40 one.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Kudos! Looks absolutely fantastic @Flyer59

So, if you haven’t got a particular aircraft covered, an experimental type, for example, all I would have to do is load the C/L for something that you do have, and start editing?

Bordeaux

(Will answer the other questions later when i have more time)

Yes, there will be a “general sep checklist” which will be cheaper than the type specific ones – and that one can be edited to your needs.

I think the the app will go to Apple’s review in about a week.

(Hope i can make a gopro video with sound soon – but i have no time this week)

This looks like a really useful app, Flyer59.

Will you be doing an Android version?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, Peter. First we have to get the iOS version going and then we’ll start with Android.

Yesterday I tested it again and i must say that it really works. My fears were that I would overhear ATC radio, but that’s not the case if you adjust the iPad volume well. When they called me while a checklist was read i just tapped the screen and the checklist stopped.

For version 2 I have the idea to recognize an engine failure automatically so that the emergency checklist is called up automatically and reads you the most the important items (“best glide speed ….”) . For this I made some tests in my Cirrus and I think it can be done with the micropphone by detecting the lower noise level when the engine fails.

Other ideas are to integrate a small navigation feature, an airport database and a terrain database. This way the approach, landing and final checklists can be activated automatically … Actually I have many more ideas but I have already invested a lot of (private) money into this and I have to be a little careful …

But now I have to get V1.0 into the store first :-)

Flyer59 wrote:

if you have connected your iPad to your headset with a 3.5 mm stereo cable

Will it also work with the Bose A20 with the “music” connection available?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I think I don’t understand, Vladimir. You just plug in into the headset’s controller. Until now i have only tried with the A20, but of course it will work with any headset that has audio in for a CD plaxyer or iPod. If you have a “Y” cable you can connect 2 headsets, so the copilot can work with the checklists and the pilot hear them aswell, which is a great setup i think if both crew members are pilots.

(I will answer you eMail later, not enough time at the moment)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 30 Sep 09:57

You can understand the full story by reading this thread.

The short version is: Until recently the Bluetooth of the Bose A20 supported phone calls only. However a couple of months ago they added support for “music streaming”. My theory is that any application that can plays sounds can be heard over this Bluetooth music streaming capability. If this is correct, your app should be able to read the checklist also over Bluetooth and not only through the 3.5 mm stereo cable. However some additional programming might be needed.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Hi Vladimir

AFAIK an existing A20 has to be modified for that, right? But of course this should be possible. But I think that a cheap stereo cable that goes into the headset controller or audio panel is a good solution. … I for one would not modify my A20 to get that feature …

Sign in to add your message