Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

smartCHECK, the Talking Checklist

Can it play elevator music when CAPS is deployed? :)

I can contribute T182T prior to G1000 though..

EDLN and EDKB

Any news on when this will be available on the App Store? Quite excited to try this out!

It will be in the next couple of days! Apple rejected the app because of a minor detail they didn’t like, but we fixed that and it’s waiting for another review now!

Well done for getting it this far. It’s amazing how much work a simple idea can take.

Would it be feasible, by which I mostly mean reliable, to offer a voice activated advance function? You’d only have to listen for a short punchy word (“check”, “affirmative”, or something) and once detected move on to the next item.

I always thought, and wrote about it online somewhere, it would be good to have a tablet/smart-phone in-air assistant, which would also be GPS based. But rather than a moving map, it would show positionally aware information in text format. So it would continuously show frequencies for the nearest facilities, distance from the nearest runways, airspace above and below at the current position and X minutes in front. With a click on the ground to download a bunch of information (weather, etc) it could also display this whilst enroute. These days some moving maps can be configured to display some of this information but not as much or as efficiently as a dedicated app. It could also intelligently monitor certain things, based on the data it has available (position, time, etc.), which is really just an extension of your checklist concept. The idea of a nagging co-pilot might horrify some people, but I think it has some merit. Something for the future maybe.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

David,

yes, I have a while list of such ideas for future versions, but since our budget was limited we had to stop at one point .. I never thought it would take ONE year to get this done, but it did! Then you have another problem: Once you introduced a feature like one that shows frequencies etc … you have to have an update structure and somebody who will update it etc etc .. and then you have a worldwide market. Now try to have all this data up to date all the time … I don’t think i want to go that way (employ people ….)

The NEXT version will have a terrain database though, and maybe an airport database, so we can control the checklists better.

Terrain data of the kind we need (we do not need obstacles) really changes very slowly (:-)) and airports and runway directions too …

And then I have this other app I was working on for 4 years and that never got ready … will keep you posted,,

Great news and well done Flyer59. One quick question which I think was partially covered in a previous post, I assume that if I hookup my iPad to a Bluetooth Headset, the audio will come straight through? I assume this is implemented by the iOS as I’ve yet to come across an audio generating app where this wasn’t the case but reading earlier posts I think there was some doubt expressed?

Would it be feasible, by which I mostly mean reliable, to offer a voice activated advance function?

That doesn’t work with the hardware we have in our planes. Of course we could try to use the iPad’s microphone, might be work.

At the moment you can stop/resume the checklists by tapping (anywhere) on the screen.

I also experimented with an EFATO checklist that is called up when the noise level in the cockpit goes down below, let’s say, 500 feet AGL. That worked fine, but needs more testing. But I think it would be a great feature.

Just in case anybody was wondering what happened to my app:

Apple rejected the app the first two times when they did their review. First they didn’t like a minor technical detail, and when they did a review of the updated version the reviewer rejected the app mostly because he didn’t understand it … boring stuff, really. We now explained it to them, and it is in the Review Loop once again. Might take another couple of days before it’s in the App Store.

Thanks for the update Flyer59. I have actually been checking the app store the last few days and was going to ask what happened!

Any update on whether the app will work with the bluetooth capability on my Bose A20? I’d hate to be plugging another cable in.

Well, if you have a BT capable A20 then any audio from the iPad should come via BT. I could not test it, yet, because I don’t care about cable. My iPad is hanging on a RAM mount above the left yoke and from there it’s just a short and thin audio cable hanging down to the A20’s controller.

Sign in to add your message