Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some fun Rocketroute stats

This popped into my mail today.

Lots of big-money users:

Lots of winter flyers and very few weekend flyers:

Overall activity:

I was rather surprised, but I guess the pricing is aimed at users who want a high level of service.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting. I thought they were bigger. Only 20 handling requests per day. What do commercial jet operators use?

LPFR, Poland

Send an email to the handling agent?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Sure, and for flight planning and filing?

LPFR, Poland

I know that historically most of the bizjet operators have been paying various flight service firms for routepack generation.

Jeppesen have been offering that service since for ever, at various prices starting at a few hundred $ a month. I used to know a guy who worked in that department. I was also informed by a Eurocontrol insider that it was them and one other similar firm who would go crazy whenever Eurocontrol proposed to make route generation open to the public. Eventually Eurocontrol’s hand was forced by the emergence of free tools, of which Autoplan (defunct as of c. 2010) and FlightPlanPro (whose developer now works for Rocketroute).

A bizjet pilot I used to know was paying €35 per routepack to a German firm whose name I can’t recall. Obviously they would not spend hours on the phone booking hotels and taxis – that’s what Jepp etc can do for you. You got the validated Eurocontrol route, plus some wx printouts which anybody could get anyway.

Of course nowadays anybody can get onto booking.com etc but wealthy clients want to be looked after (a fancy car to pick them up, etc) and a lot of handling agents do that for you.

Also, bizjet pilots I know much prefer to just email the handling agent regarding PPR/PNR etc and get massively irritated by recent moves as e.g. we have seen in France where some airports set up websites where you have to book the stuff.

Administrator

Like many others probably, I seriously don’t know what I would do if Autorouter disappeared tomorrow.

Go back to Rocketroute? That would be a very hard one. 1. because the pricing kept creeping up over the last four years to a point most private/leisure SEP pilots are not disposed to pay that any more.

But even if I overcame this problem, the problem would remain that Rocketroute has, I as mentioned several time, completely lost me with their bloated product that they have created over the last few years, with extra services and functions everywhere (just read their regular newsletters…)

Hack a route in FlightPlanPro, then copy it into sonething like EuroFPL (which I absolutely nevet got along with)? No way!

Maybe I would just use the (free) DFS site.

But then in any case, I would lose all briefing pack functions, etc….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I would be interested if EuroFPL – which I use – issue similar statistics and what share of the market other flight plan engines serve.
Clearly GA alone can’t be a major breadwinner for them.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I would use FlightPlanPro and use EuroFPL for the FP filing. It worked fine for me for years, and is still my backup, but can’t be done with just a phone. One needs at least a tablet to run FPP (over a Remote Desktop / VPN connection to a windows computer). A laptop is fine, of course.

I use EuroFPL for VFR FPs.

The briefing pack is something else… again a laptop is really handy.

Achim and Tom (of the “autorouter”) have left EuroGA for mysterious reasons…

Administrator

I’ve just heard RR charge $600 for the subscription for a privately owned turboprop.

Administrator
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message