Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some general maintenance tips from Mike Busch

Michael wrote:

And what do you consider to be a reasonable price ?

I just read Mike Bushes article in CPA Mag about engine overhaul new, Fact rebuilt, Overhaul to new limits Overhaul to service limits, and finally to IRAN.

My answer to the question of what I think reasonable is, can be answered in what constitutes an OH for my Cont Mags. What does the book say is required to be replaced?

I looked up the parts prices and if a Cam assembly is not required that is a $260 savings. If the coil does not need to be replaced that is a $130 savings if a distributor block is not needed that is a $165 savings. Not sure if the dial switch will be replaced at $25 or the Slinger $37 or the bearing at $40 I am sure you will have new points put in so that is $60, Brush assembly $7 Additional misc screws etc will come to max $50.

According to Cont. Magneto scheduled maintenance intervals are:
100 hour: Mag-to-engine timing & general condition
500 hour:
Cleaning, inspection, re-lubrication
Impulse coupling wear inspection
4 years or Engine TBO, whichever comes first: Overhaul

Looked in aircraft Spruce and they are selling OH mags for $622 with a core exchange.

So is Mike B correct instead of telling them do an OH where certain things are required to be replaced even if within service limits or just tell them to do an IRAN and if outside the limits they will replace it in anycase yet not be on the hook for an OV.

KHTO, LHTL

Lucius wrote:

For example, he has the ability to calculate the average and standard deviation CHT for a particular make and model at a given density altitude, power and mixture setting.

And what good is that, may I ask ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

CKN wrote:

Is Busch’s book “Manifesto” (mentioned at the end of the article) worth getting or any other suggestion?

It’s cheap enough, that the convenience factor of having a kindle edition is worth it, versus spending the time to search for the articles on the internet.

Mike Busch mentions somewhere that he has almost 1000 planes in his program. The shear amount of planes in his program gives him an insight view that is hard to match. In combination with the engine data he collects through https://www.savvyanalysis.com/, he has the largest treasure trove of data available to come to conclusions via statistical analysis. For example, he has the ability to calculate the average and standard deviation CHT for a particular make and model at a given density altitude, power and mixture setting.

United States

Granted, but sub-1200kg planes under ELA1 can now be owner-maintained to a degree comparable with the FAA Part91 – see e.g. here.

ELA2 is supposed to make life easier for sub-2000kg planes, Part M light might also bridge the gap somewhat – one can be hopeful based on what ELA1 brought. I agree that both Part-ML and ELA2 are vapourware, but looking at ELA1, they might materialize into something useful.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I think Mike Busch is really great but one has to appreciate that he is working in the context of the US Part 91 (N-reg) maintenance scene and specifically where the owner gets quite involved, and usually there are multiple options on where to get work done.

Whereas Europe tends to be buried in local airfield politics and often one flies to a maintenance company because the more local ones have done repeated bodges….

Mike Busch runs a company called Savvy Maintenance which offers a consultancy / management service for maintenance. I don’t mean this at all as a criticism because I think he does a great job and is really knowledgeable but his big publicity profile helps to bring him business. Your maintenance company needs to be comfortable with this “remote management” system and not all of them are. But reports from owners who do use him are very good and there are / have been owners posting here who use Savvy to manage UK-based N-regs. I would think he might have more difficulty working with say French or German companies, due to the language issue.

Here in Europe the options are a lot more limited under EASA Part M (a lot of “maintenance management” relates to replacing parts according to condition rather than hard life limits) but anyway even on N-reg most companies are not so keen on owners getting involved so building the right relationship here is a lot harder – regardless of whether you manage it yourself (as e.g. I do) or you use Savvy.

His writing is great for any owner wanting to get himself/herself clued up, but you also need to have the right “scene” in which to do the work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Michael Thanks, found the articles on Avweb.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN wrote:

Is Busch’s book “Manifesto” (mentioned at the end of the article) worth getting or any other suggestion?

Basically a collection of past articles, so if you haven’t read or don’t have access to the dozens of pieces he’s written over the years, or just to have it all under one cover, then yes it would be a good buy, particularly for an owner/operator who wants to be “involved” with MX.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

And what do you consider to be a reasonable price ?

I don’t know about the 1200 but I pay about $800 plus shipping and VAT to QAA at Tulsa, for a D3000 single shaft dual mag overhaul.

Last UK price was GBP 800 so probably similar but that was the con-job company who refused to give me the work pack afterwards, so I had to send the mag to QAA anyway, and they pointed out various issues including almost certainly secondhand components. I have recently been informed that the owner of that company is no longer there (it was taken over by another one).

The sad truth.

I don’t like to ever use again a firm who buggered me around (and same goes for individuals) but you would be amazed at how many people do continue to use these firms. But I think often it’s because most owners never find out what was done or not done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Nobody could quote a fixed price on a job like that, obviously..

They probably could and or did, but since they would be CYA, you would not want to pay the price.

In the end it comes down to what facilities one has and what relationships one has with maintenance people. Sometimes, especially for owners who do their own work, relationships with companies are hard to maintain…

+1

And when somebody does a Grade A bodge then you probably won’t use that company ever again (who would?) and the number of options is reduced by one each time that happens.

The sad truth.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message