Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some more app advice

Inspired by recent posts, I’ve taken out a trial subscription of Garmin pilot and seriously consider switching over from my present setup (Skydemon plus PDF approach plates). I’m especially looking forward to the georeferenced FliteCharts approach plates. However, these are not available for a number of countries I’m routinely flying to (Hungary, Balkans….).

Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck IFR has these countries, albeit at a higher price. But the entire app seems to be much less well developed.

Has anyone direct experience comparing these two? I definitely don’t want to buy both apps because of cost and simplicity.

Last Edited by blueline at 05 Mar 15:08
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I wonder how many people are using tablet apps for IFR at all?

The original Jepp Flitedeck (which I recall came with Jeppview v2 originally, c. 2005) was designed for that, and while I knew someone who used it successfully, mine kept crashing.

Most tablet apps seem to be used for VFR – even during IFR flights. We have had some previous threads on tablets and IFR e.g. here

There are very few tablet apps which offer mapping that’s any good for IFR, and anyway that is not IMHO how most people fly: the panel mount avionics are the primary reference for the route ahead, desirable shortcuts, etc.

However if you want worldwide (or all of Europe) coverage in terminal charts then Jepp (Jeppview on a PC, or something running on a tablet) is the only option especially if you want uniform presentation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder how many people are using tablet apps for IFR at all?

The original Jepp Flitedeck (which I recall came with Jeppview v2 originally, c. 2005) was designed for that, and while I knew someone who used it successfully, mine kept crashing.

Most tablet apps seem to be used for VFR – even during IFR flights. We have had some previous thread on tablets and IFR e.g. here

I do not agree with you Peter. I’m using the Jeppesen FD IR within all my IR flights and it is never crashing at all, the only thing I realised is, that while I’m using it with the Wifi connection to my ADL 120 it crashes when on the same time the mobile connection for LTE data is activated. So just deactivated and it is absolutley reliable.

BTW: I do often use Jeppesen VFR and the Mobile FD IR in parallel. Both working really good on my iPad.

EDDS , Germany

Ok, but can I ask how you actually use it?

IOW, where is the value, for Eurocontrol IFR which is nearly all in CAS and under ATC control?

However I am not sure if the OP (blueline) really meant Eurocontrol IFR…

Administrator

@Peter: Yes, I meant “Eurocontrol IFR”, there is no other IFR in my part of the world.

IMHO a tablet app is very useful for conveniently carrying/displaying plates, having access to recent weather (radar) data and increasing situational awareness by georeferencing – all that in addition to the primary onboard system which in my case is a 430W.

Last Edited by blueline at 07 Mar 10:06

Peter wrote:

Ok, but can I ask how you actually use it?

Of course. I use it to check the plates during the departure and approach. I use it during the approach phase as backup for the GTN, because I do have the ownship symbol on both, the approach chart on the GTN and on the iPad. Finally I use it to get more directs in flight. On the iPad I have a better overview of the entire route and so I can ask for better and longer directs to shorten way. This is especially helpful for me in France where they seldom offer directs by themselfs compared to Germany.
And while preparing flights I use it often to optimize the autorouter routing when going first VFR and then picking up IFR. Most of the time a closer IR fix as pickup point is possible (in Germany).
Finally to prepare for icing conditions it is my third source (DWD, autorouter, Jeppesen).

EDDS , Germany

I do the same as eddsPeter!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

chrisparker wrote:

I do the same as eddsPeter!

As do I. I actually do not know a current IFR pilot who does not use a tablet (usually iPads).

EGTK Oxford

Of course. I use it to check the plates during the departure and approach. I use it during the approach phase as backup for the GTN, because I do have the ownship symbol on both, the approach chart on the GTN and on the iPad. Finally I use it to get more directs in flight. On the iPad I have a better overview of the entire route and so I can ask for better and longer directs to shorten way. This is especially helpful for me in France where they seldom offer directs by themselfs compared to Germany.
And while preparing flights I use it often to optimize the autorouter routing when going first VFR and then picking up IFR. Most of the time a closer IR fix as pickup point is possible (in Germany).
Finally to prepare for icing conditions it is my third source (DWD, autorouter, Jeppesen).

Let’s divide this up a bit.

For wx there is no question.

People who pay for the Jepp terminal chart product(s) can have the own-aircraft symbol georeferenced on the plan view of the terminal chart, on both the tablet and (if they have compatible avionics e.g. GTN750, IFD540 or one of the older MFDs such as GMX200 or one of the bigger Avidyne ones) on their panel mounted GPS too. That functionality, for all of “political Europe”, is about €2000. Is this correct?

Note that the lowest cost Jepp option, about €900/year, is a single-device installation only.

If you are not paying for Jepps, how does the above apply?

Now, let’s say you do have a decent size MFD which shows your route ahead. Where is the value of a tablet app (other than as a backup)? And how did you load the route into both?

Administrator

If you are not paying for Jepps, how does the above apply?

Garmin Pilot has their own FliteCharts, which are georeferenced AIP arrival/approach/departure plates. My original question was about whether people consider them an accpetable alternative to Jepp charts given that the environment they are presented in (Garmin Pilot) seems to be superior as an “all-in-one applicaton” to the Jeppesen Apps.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message