Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

South France & east coast of Spain

10 Posts

I am planning a trip from Bad Vöslau (LOAV) to the south of France (preferably Cannes) and then Gibraltar (LXGB). The 1996 Mooney Ovation 3 has 89 USG usable, and a 12USG consumption, however a direct flight from Cannes LFMD to Gibraltar LXGB, under IFR gets me very close to my minimum reserve. Any economic suggestions for a intermediate stop between Cannes and Gibraltar in terms of both ground handling and AVGAS price?
Thanks in advance!

Avoid the large fields like Valencia, Alicante, Malaga. Expensive handling, slots, busy, hassle this time of year.
I would either go to Reus (LERS) or Granada (LEGR). Both have obligatory handling because your final destination is outside Schengen.
Fuel prices are similar anywhere in Spain I guess, and not cheap, 2.5 euro/litre or so.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I would try to avoid the Spanish airports where possible. AFAIK, if you make another stop at either Montpellier or Perpgigan, you should be fine fuel-wise. Fuel there is also much cheaper than in Spain.

Actually, is Cannes just a fuel stop for you? In that case, I would rather consider flying direct to Montpellier or Perpignan and then go to Gib. That would save you one stop.

Of the two, Montpellier is the much better choice. Perpignan isn’t ideal for fuel stops, due to the airport layout. Also, they are PPR for immigration and I have heard they are also rather unfriendly when it comes to immigration procedures.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Be aware, that Gibraltar is PPR and 24 (48?) hour notice. You also must complete, sign and email/fax a little form that shows the various wind conditions that can exist there. And yes, it can get quite interesting! For fuel, I would either stop in Reus or Granada. You will need a port of entry to go to/from Gibraltar, so either of these two is fine.

Doesn’t Montpellier qualify as port of entry? What about availability of parking and avgas at Gibraltar?

Does anyone have experience with Jerez de la frontera as an alternative to Gibraltar for a longer (few days or a week) stay?

EDTD (ESGJ), Germany

Wingman wrote:

Doesn’t Montpellier qualify as port of entry? What about availability of parking and avgas at Gibraltar?

I was there the last time about 4 years ago and there was no overnight parking available at Gibraltar. Gib is essentially a mil field, so you really need to check with them.

Wingman wrote:

Does anyone have experience with Jerez de la frontera as an alternative to Gibraltar for a longer (few days or a week) stay?

Jerez used to be ok, but since AENA have upped their prices and made handling mandatory at many airports, I doubt it still is. Check the AENA website for up-to-date info, this keeps changing.
If your airplane can handle a relatively short strip (about 500m/1500 ft), then you could try Villamartin, see here: http://www.antiguaestacion.com/english/airfield/let-s-fly/
It’s a hard surface strip used (and I think owned) by a local UL club. Nice place, but short and in summer you better pay attention to DA, as this part of the world gets seriously hot (high 40Cs)!

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately LXGB is unable to host our Mooney. It looks that Jerez will be our next option.

So, unless you want to follow Bosco’s good advice to stop closer to Spain in France, the good news would be that you can now select nice and easy fields in Spain for an intermediate stop. Like Ampuriabrava (LEAP), Castellon (LECN).. Not state-owned, very friendly, efficient, lively. Shortish runways, absolutely no handling. If you are willing to walk 50 meters after landing in LECN, you are on the beach..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I have been flying there along the Spanish coast towards Gibraltar. We stayed overnight in Valencia. Great city to visit and I did not find the airport a hassle at all or overly expensive. When flying to Gibraltar, check on the AVGAS availability. When we were flying there, they had no AVGAS.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

I did not find the airport a hassle at all or overly expensive.

When was that? I had a couple of nightmare experiences in Valencia, worst – by far! – of any Spanish airport. Last time there about 5 years ago. Would avoid at almost all cost.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message