Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spain - October 31 Pamplona LEPP 2015

OK OK then, here goes:

I can’t do November personally so if that month is better for the largest group, someone else carry the banner..

My proposal:

Weekend of 24 Oct or 31 Oct. So arriving friday, leaving sunday.
Destination options: Zaragoza or Barcelona. Still reasonably close to the rest of Europe. Customs available.

Barcelona is more spectacular, but Zaragoza is more off the beaten track for many of you I suppose. Very nice compact city centre and impressive cathedral.

LEZG is actually a little ‘safer’ than Barcelona’s LELL which is VFR-only.

For those of you who’d like it, we can do a stop at LECD in the Pyrenees on the way back. AVTUR and AVGAS available there. Really nice place, only when the mountain weather allows of course, can be tricky this time of year.

So Peter, you’ve got 5 more days to tinker with your oil leak . But if Jason would be so kind to join in, as an alternative you could stand along the runway at Shoreham and stick up your thumb as high as you can. He may see it..

I can try to make a combined booking at a reasonable hotel and ask for some flexibility to cater for weather turning sour at the last moment.
We all know the value of long term forecasts, but I could not help having a peek, and it actually does not look bad right now across most of Europe for next weekend.

Does this sound like a rough plan?

May I have your votes please?

Last Edited by aart at 17 Oct 16:35
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

October not possible for me sadly due World Cup.

EGTK Oxford

Zaragoza is very scenic. I went there in 2007.

However, one needs to check the PPR carefully. It’s a semi military airport. I did it OK on that visit, but the following year it was done with a phone call by Granada OPS (right in front of me, and obviously using the correct language ) but when I started up, I was told Zaragoza cancelled my flight plan because I didn’t get PPR. That was extremely aggressive, I thought… I flew elsewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 24th Oct is no good for wx, so 31st Oct is the next option. Zaragoza or Pamplona. I have been in contact with both by email.

Administrator

Second try..

I now suggest Pamplona, seems like a more convenient field than Zaragoza.

So for the weekend of 31 October. Peter has already signed up.

Plan to be enroute LELL arriving at LELL Saturday morning, so routing via Pamplona for a Friday overnight a distinct possibility. Hoping for a nice autumn spell of anti cyclonic weather for that weekend.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

With these things I wonder whether a mailing would be good.

I have done mailing for the “big” fly-ins, of which we have been doing two a year. The two in 2014 were really successful, especially the Losinj one which was pretty packed. Of course the location was spectacular…

But mailings might irritate some people, and some mark the sender as spam. So now I mail only people who have logged in within the last X months.

I get mailings from various US sites, and one rather peculiar UK site, and they are usually irritating.

This Spanish trip is very wx-sensitive because there is just no point in doing Pamplona unless it is pretty well CAVOK

Administrator

Wx looks much improved!

Administrator

OK, if the weather forecast stays like this Peter and I are on.
Robert?

aart ‘fog in the channel, continent cut off’ checked the 30 hour TAFs and too misty for the Super Cub so am now lo-costing it to Barcelona.

Will try the next time. Pamplona seems a good choice so hopefully there may be another opportunity.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message