Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spanish Lancair 360 "IFR Certified"

I have an AVMAP EKPIV in my Europa. Very cool and was top of the bill some years ago. Its only drawback is that it cannot receive an RS232 aviation stream from a certified GPS (GNS480 in my case).

Only the AVMAP EKPV is supported by Seattle Avionics. The coverage chart [ local copy ] has not been updated from 2011. And so wouldn’t rely on having it up to date and being used by many people. Seattle also had this coverage for Dynon Skyview but not offering it nowadays.

These days, I would prefer an ipad mini to display plates and skydemon or similar app than any kind of AVMAP/Garmin non certified GPS.

Belgium

ploucandco wrote:

These days, I would prefer an ipad mini to display plates and skydemon or similar app than any kind of AVMAP/Garmin non certified GPS.

The design of the panel in the Europa is cool, but it does make it awfully difficult to upgrade and do changes. Where would you put the ipad?

The best course today is by far SD/EVFR on a phone/pad velcroed on the panel, compared with anything else. SD/EVFR is always up to date, and the pad can be changed and upgraded for a minimal price. I will use the ever newest Nexus phablet. If SD/EVFR go bust, then someone else is there to take over.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

thanks Ploucandco for rectifying the EKP V only ability to show geo-reference app charts. Seattle Avionics once did it for Bendix/King MyWingman App too, which I had on my Ipad mini.
Unfortunately B&K ‘s MyWingman did not sustain for more than half a year – however I got a VISA Gift Card over 150 USD for refund …
I’m happy that SD is not showing any traces of weakness so far …

Last Edited by nobbi at 22 Mar 13:15
EDxx, Germany

I like the GNS480 – a great unit, years ahead of the time (which is why Garmin bought the company and closed it down ) but not being 8.33 it is a problem in Europe.

I don’t know the latest on which countries allow 1 × 8.33 and 1 × 25. The UK does.

EKP V only ability to show geo-reference app charts. Seattle Avionics once did it for Bendix/King MyWingman App too, which I had on my Ipad mini.
Unfortunately B&K ‘s MyWingman did not sustain for more than half a year – however I got a VISA Gift Card over 150 USD for refund …
I’m happy that SD is not showing any traces of weakness so far

Did Seattle really redesign European terminal charts, presumably using the AIP ones as a reference and duplicating Jepp’s effort?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think Seattle use the official FAA charts in the US and the AIP instrument approach charts in the EU. There should be someone here with the Aspen MFD that uses Seattle geo-referenced charts who could clarify that question. I’m a bit in doubt about that because on some Aspen advertising the charts look like Jeppesen ones ( with the colored terrain features – originally indeed Lufthansa charts but then bought by Jeppesen some 25 years ago ).

EDxx, Germany

Peter wrote:

IMHO the KLN90 was put in to pay lip service to IFR approval, in some way. Maybe the builder knew something

KLN90 is a great unit for IFR flying old but very FMS oriented the data base updates are very easy to do and affordable Wingman allows almost 13 loads for almost two year period. I have it coupled to my SN3500 and WX1000 on the storm scope it even shows the approach legs on both units….

Last Edited by Vref at 22 Mar 14:35
EBST

Peter wrote:

isn’t the 28 days the max long term parking time for homebuilt N-regs in the UK (and maybe other places)? European reg homebuilts can stay for longer; typically 6 months.

The general exemption is for 28 consecutive days any longer and you need to apply for a specific exemption.
That will probably state that it is limited to day/VFR/non-commercial although I received one that only limited me to the limitations of my national document (which allowed night/IFR)

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I have stuck that CAA link onto the end of a more general “residence” thread here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mark_1 wrote:

I received one that only limited me to the limitations of my national document (which allowed night/IFR)

That’s my experience as well from all the European countries from which I got an overfly authorisation.

Belgium

Flying and filing IFR in an IFR-equipped-looking (but not IFR certified) aircraft, what are the odds of getting caught? even in a ramp check?
I suspect you could fly IFR for years without any (formal) problems, unless you draw attention in some unfortunate way, e.g. an accident.

Last Edited by huv at 28 Mar 14:00
huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message