Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spend on flying per year as owners

Sorry, 7 exams

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter when you are referring to 14 exams and 55h, you mean the CPL + IR, but to me it seems that the 10k for 7 exams mentioned before are for the IR only, am I right Emir?

Last Edited by TobiBS at 23 Dec 09:10
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

That is damn good going for the mandatory 55hrs dual And 14 exams.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The JAA/EASA IR, 7 exams etc etc, ab initio, was generally reckoned to cost 20k.

In Croatia (and FWIW in Serbia, Czech, Hungary and probably few other countries) you can get it for 10k.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Keeping this relevant to GA flying post-retirement, I don’t think any “normal” person is going to get a State pension sufficient to pay for that. Even the old final-salary schemes (e.g. the ones I mentioned above, which are being phased out as fast as is politically doable, because paying out say 80% of the final salary after 40 years’ service and index linking the pension is clearly unsustainable with an ageing population) would pay enough only if you were a relatively high earner. So if you want to have a decent standard of living in retirement you need to run your own investment portfolio.

Administrator

AdamFrisch wrote:

It’s well known that all the tax money you pay for pensions goes straight to todays pensioners, they’re not kept in some interest-bearing account until it’s our time. So all your pension money has to rely on one huge if: that your country isn’t bankrupt or has just printed it’s way out of every recession by that time.
There is really not that much of a difference. It’s not money that will support you in your old days, it’s other people. The rest is just politics.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You can’t rely on anyone but yourself to fund your pension. It’s well known that all the tax money you pay for pensions goes straight to todays pensioners, they’re not kept in some interest-bearing account until it’s our time. So all your pension money has to rely on one huge if: that your country isn’t bankrupt or has just printed it’s way out of every recession by that time. And that money isn’t worth close to zero. This is less and less likely in all western nations – they all use quantitive easing as their Keynesian fix. It won’t last forever.

Take care of yourself, because the government won’t be able to when that day comes.

“exceptionally generous one e.g. – in the UK – teachers, police, other public services some of whom have had completely unsustainable finaly salary based pensions "

Teachers pensions in Scotland are not funded – they’re payed from the contributions of currently working teachers. This only works if there will be no big reduction in the number employed in the forseeable future.
I am grateful for the kids who would wreck any electronic teaching system if unsupervised, and to the kind politicians who make linking such equipment to bluetooth electric shock collars unacceptable.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Or just marry another pilot.

Good idea – can we add a dating sub forum

The JAA/EASA IR, 7 exams etc etc, ab initio, was generally reckoned to cost 20k. Plus a massive hassle of the full-of-crap exams and the ground school. But a bigger cost of an IR is having a decent enough plane to use it in, and then flying enough hours to be current. An IR just doesn’t go together with a low-hour pilot especially a renter. It has been done but is usually a struggle.

Administrator
111 Posts
Sign in to add your message