Spin training

This popped up Intro to spin training.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

This popped up Intro to spin training

Hand always on the stick!
By the way, Robin spin recovery under the US instructions need Up Elevator for recovery with opposite rudder but in the UK Down Elevator is used.
They should use the starter after the engine out on the recovery. I cannot see any starter button. Very important to have when doing aerobatics.
Under G-forces and the dynamic environment, hands on the key can be impossible.

Last Edited by at 25 Jun 23:59

LeSving wrote:

This popped up Intro to spin training.
Why on earth let go of the stick on recovery!? I’ve been taught that unless the POH explicitly says otherwise you should initially use full up elevator when recovering as in many aircraft the rudder will be in the “wake” of the stabiliser and this effect will be minimised with full up elevator.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why on earth let go of the stick on recovery!?

Who knows? The video is just funny. Maybe the instructor is demonstrating that (in that particular aircraft) whatever you do with the stick has no effect. Only opposite rudder works ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Looks nauseating. I think I would have fainted before recovery.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Nothing extreme to spin an aircraft.
Positive to negative G and vice versa, sequence manoeuvres with a deferent level of clouds and a bit of haze is the entry to vertigo.
Practice and experience is the key here. The brain and body adapt eventually.

One thing about the P-A-R-E recovery method (power to idle-ailerons neutral-opposite rudder-elevator), is why power to idle? – in precision aerobatic spinning you want propeller slipstream over the rudder to aid recovery. Perhaps its a throwback from rotary engines, or WW2 fighters where the torque/gyroscopic effect of the propeller (or engine and propeller in the case of a rotary) had an effect on spin characteristics?

Some types need the stick held back before opposite rudder.

Hence as with all spin training, recovery is highly type specific.

Flat spins leave your head truly spinning. Aerobatic pilots at the Advanced/Unlimited level, some of them in their sixties, have developed real ability to go from negative to positive G and not lose consciousness. Apparently screaming helps.

RobertL18C wrote:

Aerobatic pilots at the Advanced/Unlimited level, some of them in their sixties, have developed real ability to go from negative to positive G and not lose consciousness

Advanced and Unlimited is precision related terms. If you don’t care about competition and don’t care to go really low doing aeros there is only one term. Aerobatics.
You don’t need to be in your sixties to stay conscious.

The swing from negative to positive G is much more pronounced at these levels – typical club aerobatics might have briefly negative 1 g (half cuban, straight and level roll) through to 4 g, while at Advanced there is sustained negative and positive g, say minus 4 g to plus 5-6 g.

It’s the range from negative to positive that leads to grey out and potential G-loc, or just sustaining say 4 g plus for some time.

Sustained negative g leads to popping blood vessels in the face and eyes. Managing these effects while performing a complex sequence must require years of training.

31 Posts
Sign in to add your message